[SOLVED] Ryzen 5700G - Xorg issues

Help with graphics cards on GhostBSD.
epsheldoni

[SOLVED] Ryzen 5700G - Xorg issues

Post by epsheldoni »

A while back I built a system with a Ryzen 5700G. I have noticed large performance differences between GhostBSD, FreeBSD, and linux regarding Xorg. On each system, I run Conky on the desktop displaying cpu usage for each core, RAM and disk usage, and the top nine
processes. On BSD systems, Xorg is the top process giving WCPU numbers well over 100 on GhostBSD, and on FreeBSD it shows values under 15. On linux, Xorg is usually under 1. On GhostBSD the GUI is laggy and slow, almost to the point of being unusable. FreeBSD does not suffer from being laggy. I notice in kldstat on FreeBSD that amdgpu is not loaded. On GhostBSD, I even removed amdgpu from the kldload entry in rc.conf and there is no difference. I assume that FreeBSD runs Xorg in a different mode than GhostBSD. I don't know that much about Xorg and the log file is not easy to understand. What is different about how GhostBSD installs and how FreeBSD installs? On linux Conky shows Xorg running under 1 for the most of the time. I just wanted to share my experience with a newer AMD processor with an integrated GPU. That way I don't have the hassles of a separate GPU.
Last edited by epsheldoni on Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
openbsd98324

Re: Ryzen 5700G - Xorg issues

Post by openbsd98324 »

The GPU might be laggy, it comes from Drivers.

The best drivers are currently hold by NomadBSD for your Machine. Have a try.

Eventually, the GhostBSD project will work on it.

Please, Expected an answer to Epsheldoni from the forum active users !

Kind regards
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

openbsd98324 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:48 am The GPU might be laggy, it comes from Drivers.

The best drivers are currently hold by NomadBSD for your Machine. Have a try.

Eventually, the GhostBSD project will work on it.

Please, Expected an answer to Epsheldoni from the forum active users!

Kind regards
I do not know why you say the best driver is held by NomadBSD because it is a FreeBSD system that has the same drivers as FreeBSD and GhostBSD.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

epsheldoni wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:13 pm A while back I built a system with a Ryzen 5700G. I have noticed large performance differences between GhostBSD, FreeBSD, and linux regarding Xorg. On each system, I run Conky on the desktop displaying cpu usage for each core, RAM and disk usage, and the top nine
processes. On BSD systems, Xorg is the top process giving WCPU numbers well over 100 on GhostBSD, and on FreeBSD it shows values under 15. On linux, Xorg is usually under 1. On GhostBSD the GUI is laggy and slow, almost to the point of being unusable. FreeBSD does not suffer from being laggy. I notice in kldstat on FreeBSD that amdgpu is not loaded. On GhostBSD, I even removed amdgpu from the kldload entry in rc.conf and there is no difference. I assume that FreeBSD runs Xorg in a different mode than GhostBSD. I don't know that much about Xorg and the log file is not easy to understand. What is different about how GhostBSD installs and how FreeBSD installs? On linux Conky shows Xorg running under 1 for the most of the time. I just wanted to share my experience with a newer AMD processor with an integrated GPU. That way I don't have the hassles of a separate GPU.
I have no idea if the GPU is well supported on FreeBSD but you can try to install xf86-video-amdgpu. Sadly I do not own an AMD GPU, so it is hard for me to help.
neville
Developer

Post by neville »

Can you post the output of

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
neville
Developer

Post by neville »

It looks like your card is not yet supported, but it should be soon
epsheldoni

Post by epsheldoni »

Pardon my late reply since my original post, I haven't seen any responses and I haven't checked until I saw on Telegram today Eric pointing out my post. I am posting this from NomadBSD and I do notice that Xorg performs well unlike on GhostBSD. On Conky, Xorg show values that are in the range of 10 or less. On GhostBSD, Xorg can have values of over 100! NomadBSD looks like it is running VESA and kldstat shows amdgpu.ko and drm.ko. I will have to change drives and start GhostBSD and post Xorg.0.log.
epsheldoni

Post by epsheldoni »

Here are the Xorg.0.log, kldstat, and rc.conf files posted to Pastebin.

https://pastebin.com/rh3LAEb9

https://pastebin.com/VXA7wD9k

https://pastebin.com/VUeL7ShZ

I may have to wait for the development of the appropriate driver for the Ryzen 5700G GPU.
Thanks for your interest in this issue.
epsheldoni

Post by epsheldoni »

I installed xf86-video-amdgpu and have removed from kld list /boot/modules/amdgpu.ko. As I type this, Xorg shows 100 on Conky.
So, I am not sure that installing xf86-video-amdgpu is the solution.
epsheldoni

Post by epsheldoni »

The above post was done on GhostBSD.