USB tethering (from Android) to GhostBSD?

Help with setting up network cards, including WiFi cards.
LibreQuest

Re: USB tethering (from Android) to GhostBSD?

Post by LibreQuest »

This is an annoyance. It would be nice to have an auto configure script for GhostBSD. It's expected that you customize the way you want on FreeBSD but not GhostBSD. That's just my opinion.
wb7odyfred

Post by wb7odyfred »

What would you like to see in an auto configure script? Maybe a Python GUI app to run these two lines of CLI. Your more detailed thoughts on this issue , interest me.

Code: Select all

sudo kldload  if_urndis if_cdce if_ipheth
dhclient ue0
LibreQuest

Post by LibreQuest »

Here is a very useful article that covers USB tethering.

https://revadig.blogspot.com/2017/05/fr ... n.html?m=1
LibreQuest

Post by LibreQuest »

wb7odyfred wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:56 pm What would you like to see in an auto configure script? Maybe a Python GUI app to run these two lines of CLI. Your more detailed thoughts on this issue , interest me.

Code: Select all

sudo kldload  if_urndis if_cdce if_ipheth
dhclient ue0
I think a GUI would be nice but preferably integrated into the network Manager. An auto configure / monitoring for tethered devices would work well to integrate into network Manager. In general restricted to ue0 devices and monitor for availability of tethered connection. This would require autoloading some kernel features by default but I think it could be done and possibly would require little testing since there is already a documented and functional method for this connection type.

I admittedly don't do any development for desktop myself so my understanding here may be limited on what I'm asking. But I was thinking a simple connection availability on ue0 for network manager would give an easy on/off switch for the GUI.

https://github.com/GhostBSD/networkmgr

EDIT: On second thought about this connection type, perhaps it should be treated as an Ethernet connection. It may be simpler if it's regarded in the software the same way as a network cable. That way it's enabled by default and disabled on user interaction with the network manager program just as the Ethernet connection is handled. To me that seems like far less work and would be much more convenient for the user.

EDIT2: Looks like initially interface handling can take place in setup-nic.py

https://github.com/ghostbsd/networkmgr/ ... tup-nic.py

After this could just be treated as regular nic I assume.

EDIT3: Just a note about FreeBSD and GhostBSD, on both systems running "dhclient ue0" gets an IP from my phone. I would assume that automating this would be rather easy in networkmgr and "ue0 down" on user click to disable would be rather easy as well using the existing framework for handling other interface addresses.
LibreQuest

Post by LibreQuest »

A simpler solution may be a simple GUI application for the commands "dhclient ue0" and "ifconfig ue0 down/up". I guess I could learn to python. Lol