Dhcpclient folder empty

Help with setting up network cards, including WiFi cards.
Hagg

Dhcpclient folder empty

Post by Hagg »

I am trying to get networking going on new download of GhostBSD 10 March 22 edition "latest build." Newer laptop … intel Wi-Fi card not seen. I tried remedies in another thread, the reason I started this thread is that the dhcp folder is blank and when I try netif restart the first line returned is to check that folder for pid. "No carrier" is also returned after trying to restart netif. I did all the new driver code pointed out in the other thread to no avail. I’m wondering if I should try an older build iso.

Hagg
RodMyers

Re: Dhcpclient folder empty

Post by RodMyers »

The latest build should work.

what is the output of

ifconfig
Hagg

Post by Hagg »

RodMyers wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:45 pm The latest build should work.

what is the output of

ifconfig
I’ll try to post that here, but I cannot get networking to work (that’s why I’m here on a different machine now) so I’ll have to find a way to copy that output and put it in here … guess I’ll have to copy it by hand in here looking at the screen with GhostBSD on it. For what it’s worth I did all the driver stuff in that other thread.
Hagg

Post by Hagg »

Here’s the hardware info if that helps, copy and pasted from the first thread I started about this:

Device-1: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel modules: wl port: 4000
bus-ID: 00:14.3 chip-ID: 8086:a0f0 class-ID: 0280
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: r8169 v: kernel port: 3000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
chip-ID: 10ec:8168 class-ID: 0200
RodMyers

Post by RodMyers »

that driver is new.

the other thread you mentioned is the best way I know how to get it working, as I have the same device in this laptop. I had to follow that post a number of times to get it working myself
Hagg

Post by Hagg »

RodMyers wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:07 am that driver is new.

the other thread you mentioned is the best way I know how to get it working, as I have the same device in this laptop. I had to follow that post a number of times to get it working myself
Yes, that is why I am posting again; I cannot get it to work despite following those instructions to the T. I started over several times to get it right. Yet, I got errors at the last step saying "no carrier" and "dhcpclient folder empty." <---- not the exact wording.. it told me to check that folder for pid etc and I found it empty.

When I install GhostBSD no matter the version I get the "network card not activated" on mouseover of the network manager icon in the panel. The only choice it offers is to "remove network manager" or some such.
Hagg

Post by Hagg »

RodMyers wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:07 am I had to follow that post a number of times to get it working myself
AAaaannd of course I'm wondering what you discovered that you were doing wrong.. and got right.. perhaps you can think back and clue me in?

I love GhsotBSD.. it's so fast and good looking and it's BSD!

*Hagg*
RodMyers

Post by RodMyers »

the part about adding to the

kld_list="linux linux64 cuse fusefs /boot/modules/i915kms.ko if_iwlwifi"

that part
Hagg

Post by Hagg »

RodMyers wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:01 pm the part about adding to the

kld_list="linux linux64 cuse fusefs /boot/modules/i915kms.ko if_iwlwifi"

that part
Now I'm confused more. That phrase, "kld_list="linux linux64 cuse fusefs /boot/modules/i915kms.ko if_iwlwifi"," is nowhere in Eric's or your posts in that thread about the remedy. :shock: Sorry.. I do not mean to belabor this, but I'd love to get this working and it appears I may not be qualified to ferret out the issue the way you guys did.

I'll give it another shot after a few days.. perhaps I'm over thinking it or something. I've installed drivers before (had to, BSD is not made for modern machines so I've had to find and deploy printer drivers etc). But this has me stumped as I meticuously followed the steps in the thread we're referencing and got nothing like you got. So, I have to assume either my laptop is too new or as I said the whole thing may be lost on me. I'll take some time off and get back to it. Thank you for trying! :)

*Hagg*
RodMyers

Post by RodMyers »

it is, and you probably overlooked that line, like I did numerous times.

Start at the top of the page, and read each line, and sentence carefully.