BCM 4313 with if_bwi : nothing happens

Help with setting up network cards, including WiFi cards.
CyrilleM

BCM 4313 with if_bwi : nothing happens

Post by CyrilleM »

Hi there.
I have just installed a fresh new GhostBSD 20.04 flavour on my Laptop, an old Lenovo Ideapad with a Broadcom 4313 Wifi device. I know that Broadcom sucks. It usually works well with Linux (Linux Mint Debian or Manjaro / Arch) but I just can't figure how to get it working with BSD.
I made a few inquiries before posting here and found that the right module is supposed to be "if_bwi".
So I made a "vi /boot/loader.conf" and added "if_bwi_load="YES" to the file.
At the reboot, the module seems to be correctly loaded -> I see a "if_bwi.ko" loaded with kldstat.
But nothing more than my ethernet device and lo with "ifconfig". No wlan or something approaching.
All is working well with the ethernet devise but as it's a laptop, I would like to get this thing working.
I have absolutely no more clue and opened to any suggestion.
Thanks to you all for any advice.

Cyrille
ouaille_aime_scier_

Re: BCM 4313 with if_bwi : nothing happens

Post by ouaille_aime_scier_ »

Hello CyrilleM,

Unfortunately, the BCM4313 wifi card is not recognized on FreeBSD/GhostBSD. See man page here : https://www.unix.com/man-page/posix/4/BWI/

Regards.
CyrilleM

Re: BCM 4313 with if_bwi : nothing happens

Post by CyrilleM »

Okeeee.
I have read the man page before but I was hoping that the 4313 chipset could have been supported anyway.
That's a big issue for a laptop. I must resign and fall back to an linux distro. I will try with another laptop.
Thanks for the answer !!!

Cyrille