SSD install works for awhile then locks up

Support for other hardware categories not listed below.
Fastcorners

SSD install works for awhile then locks up

Post by Fastcorners »

Hi, I havent seen anyone else have this problem but my Dell E5430 works fine with a Samsung hard drive (320g) but has very odd behavior with a SSD drive. It will start the install and get to about half way then mysteriously freeze. I was only able to get a dmesg message about the drive no longer responding. At this point it locks up hard and must be manually turned off. The SSD is a Western Digital 1 terabyte drive that previously had Win 10 on it. The Dell has 8 gigs of ram with virtualization turned off in the bios.
Any ideas? I have the Samsung drive with a nightly build from April 28 running superbly.
chadbsd

Re: SSD install works for awhile then locks up

Post by chadbsd »

Please use an official GhostBSD image, https://download.ghostbsd.org/releases/ ... 4.01.1.iso.

If you are copying the iso using a Linux computer, use the following command. I'm assuming /dev/sdb is your usb thumb drive.
sudo dd if=GhostBSD-24.01.1.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M

Please try installing using this method and report status.
Fastcorners

Post by Fastcorners »

Thanks. I wrote image with a Windows computer because that’s what I had. I used the nightly image after trying the official image with the same result. Actually I should clarify that the lockup happens during the install and slowly locks the computer up. I opened a mate terminal to see what was going on and only got far enough to do a dmesg. It stops on a different file every time.
Fastcorners

Post by Fastcorners »

:? Thanks. I wrote image with a Windows computer because that’s what I had. I used the nightly image after trying the official image with the same result. Actually I should clarify that the lockup happens during the install and slowly locks the computer up. I opened a mate terminal to see what was going on and only got far enough to do a dmesg. It stops on a different file every time.