Problem trying to install ghostbsd on SSD disk !!

Support for other hardware categories not listed below.
chrisfromgreece

Post by chrisfromgreece »

Tried to install in an ssd teamgroup l2 if i'm correct.
Tried different filesystem, different ufs options , doesn't work !
Big bug !
chrisfromgreece

Re: Problem trying to install ghostbsd on SSD disk !!

the installation finished but the installed system has serious problems and crashes frequently, on my mechanical disk is fine but when i try to install it on ssd it has problems.
I tried trueos and can install fine on ssd
jmp20

Post by jmp20 »

It is odd that install fails on SSD. I have a SSD so I am going to try to install GhostBSD on it. Also, since you are able to install GhostBSD on a platter disk, try the process below.

On Platter disk:
1. install GhBSD

On SSD:
1. create at least root /, and Swap (create, usr, var, etc. if you prefer) partitions with gpart live GhostBSD
2. format ssd partition UFS
3. mount the SSD on your platter installation, say, /mnt (if multiple, mount them all)
4. copy/clone data for each partition from platter disk to SSD with cpdup

Code: Select all

# cpdup -vv -f -o -I / /mnt (upper case i)
  (repeat process for each partition, if multiple were created)
# cpdup -vv -f -o -I /usr /mnt2
5. dd the mbr from platter to ssd and/or (if EFI, copy the /media/disk/efi/boot/bootx64.efi

That's it, sooo easy : )
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

@chrisfromgreece try or new GhostBSD dev release base on TrueOS, see https://forums.ghostbsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1078 for more info.
jmp20

Post by jmp20 »

Hello,
Simply reporting back. I was able to install GhostBSD on a SSD. I used a SanDisk 180GB SSD. One item to note, I used the whole drive for GhostBSD. Also, I completely wiped the drive with 'gpart' then created a GPT type partition table format. I did not try it on a mbr type partition table format, sorry.
melloa

Post by melloa »

Here no problem with the installation. I little slow, I think due to the speed of the DVD i've used.

Installed on a
Model Family: SandForce Driven SSDs
Device Model: SanDisk SDSSDA120G
Created a mirror zfs volume with other HDDs for storage and the system is stable and working fine.

Little issue with my KVM that I'll report on another post.
frogprince

Post by frogprince »

I have Ghost installed on a generic 120GB SSD with ZFS. I had some problems with the original motherboard, I believe with the chip set. I'm now running an ASUS F1A75-M PRO/CSM with an AMD A8-3870 processor and 6GB of DDR3 RAM, and it installed easily with ZFS and runs fine. I"m also using a IOGEAR KVM switch without problem. I went through a lot of gyrations until I replaced the mobo; I hope that's not your problem.
Vas you efer in Zinzinnati? Asus F1A75-M, AMD A8-3870 APU, 6 GB DDR3/120 GB SSD, GeForce 210, missing front drive panel just like its owner.
chrisfromgreece

the problem continues , it simply cant be installed on ssd or else it has corruption and after a while it can't even boot.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

That weird I have GhostBSD running on SSD on all my machine and I don't have any problem, and even on SATA M.2 SSD.