SSD install works for awhile then locks up

Support for other hardware categories not listed below.
Fastcorners

SSD install works for awhile then locks up

Post by Fastcorners »

Hi, I havent seen anyone else have this problem but my Dell E5430 works fine with a Samsung hard drive (320g) but has very odd behavior with a SSD drive. It will start the install and get to about half way then mysteriously freeze. I was only able to get a dmesg message about the drive no longer responding. At this point it locks up hard and must be manually turned off. The SSD is a Western Digital 1 terabyte drive that previously had Win 10 on it. The Dell has 8 gigs of ram with virtualization turned off in the bios.
Any ideas? I have the Samsung drive with a nightly build from April 28 running superbly.
chadbsd

Re: SSD install works for awhile then locks up

Post by chadbsd »

Please use an official GhostBSD image, https://download.ghostbsd.org/releases/ ... 4.01.1.iso.

If you are copying the iso using a Linux computer, use the following command. I'm assuming /dev/sdb is your usb thumb drive.
sudo dd if=GhostBSD-24.01.1.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M

Please try installing using this method and report status.
Fastcorners

Post by Fastcorners »

Thanks. I wrote image with a Windows computer because that’s what I had. I used the nightly image after trying the official image with the same result. Actually I should clarify that the lockup happens during the install and slowly locks the computer up. I opened a mate terminal to see what was going on and only got far enough to do a dmesg. It stops on a different file every time.
Fastcorners

Post by Fastcorners »

:? Thanks. I wrote image with a Windows computer because that’s what I had. I used the nightly image after trying the official image with the same result. Actually I should clarify that the lockup happens during the install and slowly locks the computer up. I opened a mate terminal to see what was going on and only got far enough to do a dmesg. It stops on a different file every time.
fWyTiigN5D7T

Post by fWyTiigN5D7T »

Can you confirm this only happens on GhostBSD, not on Windows, or even Linux liveUSB?
Fastcorners

Post by Fastcorners »

Yes, I had Windows on the SSD before loading GhostBSD. The install would start and about half way would simply stop unpacking files. I opened a terminal and was able to run dmesg but then everything would freeze up. The freeze up had been going on for 15-20 minutes before I opened a terminal window. Frankly I’m not too worried unless I try another SSD but for now the Samsung drive with Ghost on it is faster than Windows on the SSD! I’d heard FreeBSD 14 was slow but it certainly hasn’t been my experience.