Why Telegram?

Have some non-GhostBSD related questions, or want just to chit-chat about anything that is not necessarily related to GhostBSD? This is the forum for you.
nevets

Why Telegram?

Post by nevets »

OK. There's an important principle here about a free and open internet...

Please don't take this the wrong way, but WHY are we hiding help and assistance for those using Ghost behind a non-browser searchable, freely available to all service wall?

I believe that the internet is for freely sharing help and assistance topics.
Walling-off private and sensitive data is obviously essential in it's place; but for forums whose goals are primarily sharing?
Bizarre.

Why MUST Ghost users be required to possess a smartphone (app downloadable device]?
Why MUST Ghost users be required to use Telegram and disclose their contact number to a third party?
Why are we directed to use Telegram?

I feel like we're creating silos of useful data and cliques of users.

So, given we all need these forums from time to time, is there a better service than Telegram to achieve this?

Written with the hope we can have a kind and respectful conversation about this topic,

Steve
RodMyers

Re: Why Telegram?

Post by RodMyers »

it's where every one started hanging out.

IF you choose not to go there, then I post the forum link for others to look at
Franky

Post by Franky »

There are dozens of messages in Telegram. Days later you can't find solved problems. Support via Telegram is not a solution for me. Only scares away new users of GhostBSD and does not help to bring the software forward.
RodMyers wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:48 am it's where every one started hanging out.

IF you choose not to go there, then I post the forum link for others to look at
That's not good enough. A forum is like a reference book / Wikipedia. Telegram cannot fulfill and provide that.
Hagg

Post by Hagg »

nevets wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:23 pm OK. There's an important principle here about a free and open internet...

Please don't take this the wrong way, but WHY are we hiding help and assistance for those using Ghost behind a non-browser searchable, freely available to all service wall?

I believe that the internet is for freely sharing help and assistance topics.
Walling-off private and sensitive data is obviously essential in it's place; but for forums whose goals are primarily sharing?
Bizarre.

Why MUST Ghost users be required to possess a smartphone (app downloadable device]?
Why MUST Ghost users be required to use Telegram and disclose their contact number to a third party?
Why are we directed to use Telegram?

I feel like we're creating silos of useful data and cliques of users.

So, given we all need these forums from time to time, is there a better service than Telegram to achieve this?

Written with the hope we can have a kind and respectful conversation about this topic,

Steve
Thank you for that. I had that same misgiving about Telegram. And the "that's where we started hanging out" is insipid and disrespectful at best. Darn it, I really wanted this OS to be something, but it's apparently dying off and I'm thinking that this Telegram bit is a portion of the reason, others being it's just not tended to. Not to vilify the developer/founder of GhostBDS at all, he's got a life to live, famly etc, and this project requires energy and dedication he may not have time for.

Good luck to all here. ;)
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I think there is a misunderstanding.

Telegram should not be the primary place for help. Instead, the forum is where problems are searchable and provides content for future documentation.

I never redirected anyone to Telegram, and I also think Telegram/Element/IRC is not the best place for help since the information is easily lost.

I connected Telegram, Element, and IRC to provide more options and an easy way for real-time communication, but I did not as a primary source of help.

Every time I read about GhostBSD issues, there is always one on top of the others; it is that the GhostBSD forum is dead. It is mainly because most people are active on Telegram/Element/IRC.

I try to help when I can, but I can't focus on helping everyone, or I won't be able to work on GhostBSD. So I am not that active on the help side.

When it comes to getting help or helping others use the tool you prefer.

If someone suggests using Telegram, you can disregard it and even tell them to post the link for the forum post on Telegram. That is what I do when I am not sure of the answer.
Seeraa SoftHearted

Post by Seeraa SoftHearted »

ericbsd wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:23 am I think there is a misunderstanding.

Telegram should not be the primary place for help. Instead, the forum is where problems are searchable and provides content for future documentation.

I never redirected anyone phenq where to buy to Telegram, and I also think Telegram/Element/IRC is not the best place for help since the information is easily lost.

I connected Telegram, Element, and IRC to provide more options and an easy way for real-time communication, but I did not as a primary source of help.

Every time I read about GhostBSD issues, there is always one on top of the others; it is that the GhostBSD forum is dead. It is mainly because most people are active on Telegram/Element/IRC.

I try to help when I can, but I can't focus on helping everyone, or I won't be able to work on GhostBSD. So I am not that active on the help side.

When it comes to getting help or helping others use the tool you prefer.

If someone suggests using Telegram, you can disregard it and even tell them to post the link for the forum post on Telegram. That is what I do when I am not sure of the answer.
Thank you for clarifying the points related to Telegram.
This is helpful.