DistroTube poll

Have some non-GhostBSD related questions, or want just to chit-chat about anything that is not necessarily related to GhostBSD? This is the forum for you.
Casper

Re: DistroTube poll

Post by Casper »

ericbsd wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:23 amYeah, I think that was more Frustration than fun...
I left a comment in one of Derek's videos telling him to stick with it, use Manjaro as his daily driver, but keep working with GhostBSD, updating us as he went along. I think it would have been informative and entertaining. When I saw his original video stating that he was "tapping out" on GhostBSD, I got a pretty good laugh - not at his irritation, but because I know the feeling, and he is a fellow traveler. Sometimes, when you're working with a new OS, everything feels like you're working uphill, and it can be extremely frustrating. When I watched the video, I could hear the exasperation in his voice, and he just looked tired. I laughed because I know the feeling so well, and my heart went out to him.

For the record, I'm really enjoying GhostBSD, just got Conky configured on it, and continue to use and enjoy it, and will continue to support it financially and by word-of-mouth. I really believe in what you guys are doing, and an out-of-the-box usable, FreeBSD-based OS, that is newbie/user-friendly, is a great project that I feel good about supporting.
Casper

Post by Casper »

ericbsd wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:23 am
DerekT wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:47 pm Cannot wait to jump into GhostBSD. Will be interesting to try to produce my videos and the occasional live stream in GhostBSD. Should be fun!
Yeah, I think that was more Frustration than fun. I have seen that some people were able to use USB mic on the FreeBSD forums, but they did not put how they did it. I have tried to get my webcam, but I was not able to use it yet...
New video from RoboNuggie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdQK7PeVt2w
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Hi, Derek.
I watched your video about getting GhostBSD up and running.

Could you provide us with more information about your hardware?

It could be that a slight amount of tweaking and configuring is all that is needed to get things working properly.
One of the main differences between BSD and Linux is that on Linux almost everything works "out of the box" whereas on BSD you usually have to edit configuration files or load kernel modules to get things working.

Maybe we can help you make your first video using GhostBSD. :P
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

For example, under slim if you want to login just with your password and not with both password and username, edit the following file with the terminal and of course as root using this command:

ee /usr/local/etc/slim.conf

then scroll down until you come to these lines:

# default user, leave blank or remove this line
# for avoid pre-loading the username.
#default_user abcde

# Focus the password field on start when default_user is set
# Set to "yes" to enable this feature
#focus_password no

then edit default_user and focus_password lines so it looks like this:

# default user, leave blank or remove this line
# for avoid pre-loading the username.
default_user yourusername

# Focus the password field on start when default_user is set
# Set to "yes" to enable this feature
focus_password yes

I think you have to replace dt for your yourusername. Don't forget to delete the # on both lines.

then press escape to leave the editor and save by pressing enter and next time you login, you should only need your password.

To mount your usb SSD, does the following work?

Plug in the device then run the following command:

ntfs-3g /dev/da0s1 /mnt -o

Good luck!