Windows 10 & GhostBSD

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
ASX

Re: Windows 10 & GhostBSD

Post by ASX »

hank2000 wrote: Always says: Windows can t be installed on this partition (all of them) cause not the right GPT scheme or s.th.)?
It is a bug in win10 installer, it require a reboot (for whatever reason), and doesn't work until you reboot.
looks like MBR to me ;)
but what would be the best way to start Ghost installation now?
ada0s3 (117GB) is the Windows 10 Home installation
ada0s4 (121GB) should become GhostBSD (should split for a swap partition I guess).
Yes, the disk has a MBR partition table.

Now to install GhostBSD proceed this way:
when the GhostBSD installer ask, choose:
- custom UFS install
- FreeBSD loader + FreeBSD boot manager (this will allow you to select which OS should be booted)

Upon next screen, chose the 4th partition(slice) and give it the whole free size (approx 117 GB).
Then you will be presented with the choice to create the freebsd partition, simply select the freespace and auto,
you should now see a "/" partition and a "swap" partition, proceed clicking on next button ... good luck.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

both thumbs hurt from pressing and sweating like ###...... started installing....... argh.....thx for good luck, def. need it!!!!!!!
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

11.1 is completely GhostBSD repos, right?
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

BOAAHHH, I knew it would be getting complicated, but still dual boot only starts BSD AND no wlan accessable is frustrating...
hope, that workaround I used for Linux/GhostBSD before works for Win10/GhostBSD as well. :(

Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

OK,

can anyone help me out with:

a) dual boot for Win10 AND GhostBSD (only can start GhostBSD now, with F1,2,3 there s no boot sector, device etc.)

b) how do I get a "Acer InviLink™ Nplify™ 802.11a/b/g/n/ac" adapter running on GhostBSD?

best
Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

hank2000 wrote:a) dual boot for Win10 AND GhostBSD (only can start GhostBSD now, with F1,2,3 there s no boot sector, device etc.)
Achim, at boot you should see something like:

Code: Select all

F1 Windows
F2 FreeBSD
Is that what you see, or not ?
In theory this is what you should see, ... and the OS should be booted accordingly ... there are not much windows users around here, I'm one but I'm not dual booting with win 10.

b) how do I get a "Acer InviLink™ Nplify™ 802.11a/b/g/n/ac" adapter running on GhostBSD?
I'm not sure what device is that, you can provide us better info using:

pciconf -lv
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

ASX wrote:
hank2000 wrote:a) dual boot for Win10 AND GhostBSD (only can start GhostBSD now, with F1,2,3 there s no boot sector, device etc.)
Achim, at boot you should see something like:

F1 Windows
F2 FreeBSD
Is that what you see, or not ?
In theory this is what you should see, ... and the OS should be booted accordingly ... there are not much windows users around here, I'm one but I'm not dual booting with win 10.

I'm not sure what device is that, you can provide us better info using:

pciconf -lv
well, I see the F1,F2,F3 and F4 keys but with GhostBSD only F4 starts Ghost/FreeBSD, the rest does a lot of ##### or starts Windows 10 that tells me, an error has occurred and system needs to be repaired which doesn t work.
I had that with dual boot tog. with Linux Mint and the wrong boot entries were responsible for that. but that was with GRUB2, so i dont know how to repair THAT!?
I now tried an OpenSuse 42 Leap which after some trouble managed to get a dual boot running.

I had to use my "wonder CD", a Linux rescue one to get that SSD disk on track with "legacy" cause some parts still seemed to be GPT in any way...
I will try another attempt this afternoon to replace openSuSe with GhostBSD 11.1 but without GRUB, I donnow where to change any boot entries!?
and IF GhostBSD starts then, I ll try the "pciconf..." command and tell the results here!
there SHOULD be a working Windows 10 left but the boot(mngr) entries are a mystery now for me without GRUB!

best
Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

hank2000 wrote: I now tried an OpenSuse 42 Leap which after some trouble managed to get a dual boot running.
I would be interested about what you have done to fix the windows boot.
I had to use my "wonder CD", a Linux rescue one to get that SSD disk on track with "legacy" cause some parts still seemed to be GPT in any way...
any evidence ?
I will try another attempt this afternoon to replace openSuSe with GhostBSD 11.1 but without GRUB, I donnow where to change any boot entries!?
and IF GhostBSD starts then, I ll try the "pciconf..." command and tell the results here!
there SHOULD be a working Windows 10 left but the boot(mngr) entries are a mystery now for me without GRUB!
You can still install grub once GhostBSD is installed, grub2 is available in our repository.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

ASX wrote:
hank2000 wrote: I now tried an OpenSuse 42 Leap which after some trouble managed to get a dual boot running.
I would be interested about what you have done to fix the windows boot.
any evidence ?

*I tried after several reboots in "legacy bios" to re-partition with Windows Setup but after new partitions done it said, noone is usuable for install...
*Windows told me that it could not be installed (on any partition), because "GPT configuration" is on that disk, although I compl. deleted it and started in "legacy" *with a new partitioning, but only after a re-cleaning and three new partitions with RESCUE CD it worked!?

You can still install grub once GhostBSD is installed, grub2 is available in our repository.
*well, if I find the workarounds for the menu entries that would be an option, but didn t You say, it causes problems, when using Grub?
*half through new installation. I will edit this one here, so pls wait for the rest... ;)

*gosh: now it installed with both F1 Windows (which starts normally) and F2 with Free/GhostBSD but that gets now till welcome screen and then hangs on that *screen where usually You see that slash turning around....but now slash stands still!
*could the F2 for BSD collide in any way with the BIOS key F2?
*but not after already starting into the welcome screen, or??
*pfuuuu, another install???
arghh, 4th boot and NOW it ran through til login screen, "candid camera" again!? ;)
but could there be a problem with "F2" or what causes this hang, when suddenly it says: "automatic boot in 10 secs" but three times before it hangs on that "slash"?

best
Achim
Last edited by hank2000 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ASX

Post by ASX »

hank2000 wrote: but didn t You say, it causes problems, when using Grub?
our problem (as ghostbsd devs) was about dealing with multiple configurations, specifically with mirroing and raidzN, on a single manual setup you won't have much issues.
gosh: now it installed with both F1 Windows (which starts normally) and F2 with Free/GhostBSD but that gets now till welcome screen and then hangs on that *screen where usually You see that slash turning around....but now slash stands still!

*pfuuuu, another install???
As you don't say what you have done different between the two installs, I have no idea what's going on.
That "welcome screen" is just before the freebsd loader ... if that is of any help.

What you can do is start a live GhostBSD, and examine the content of the freebsd partition, eventually you can reinstall only the freebsd loader.