Windows 10 & GhostBSD

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
hank2000

Windows 10 & GhostBSD

Post by hank2000 »

Hi there

before my actual HP starts burning off cause of its age when playing videos for ex., I ordered a new laptop from Acer with AMD interior and Windows 10.
maybe a stupid question but without experience on Win10:
guess it s only pre-installed and without media as always, what s the easiest and fastest way to install GhostBSD besides Win on the harddisk?
is there an easy way to shrink Windows and free space for GhostBSD as with Linux (which I know for dual boots better) and via Grub?

just want to get a working dual boot environment as fast as possible. ;)

best
Achim
ASX

Re: Windows 10 & GhostBSD

Post by ASX »

Likely your computer comes without windows media, however, as long as you save your license key xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx you should be able to reinstall windows at any time, and of course while installing it you can configure a smaller partition. Wiindows 10 iso files can be downloaded from the microsoft website.

I can tell you that installing win10 is a much faster process, compared to the previous versions, so don't be afraid to reinstall.

We have removed grub as an install option in the lastest 11.1 ISOs, due to too much troubles getting it working properly with the new setup (mainly zfs ,mirror, raidz, and ufs mirroring).

Setting up a dual boot system may require different steps depending if you system is UEFI enabled or not, also you will need to turn off secure boot, if enabled.

to recap, I would advise you to collect the required info (namely the license key-code), download the required win10 ISO image, eventually prepare a USB stick with the win10 image (you will need a working windows computer to do that), or simply burn the win10 ISO to a DVD, check the BIOS/UEFI settings, and reinstall win10.
While reinstalling, make sure to create a partition smaller than the whole disk, for win10.

When you are ready, post again and we will provide further help.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi ASR

Thanks for a start. I ll get as far as possible and get back here again.

Best
Achim
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Be careful. If you wipe Windows 10 you may void your warranty.
ASX

Post by ASX »

NevilleGoddard wrote:Be careful. If you wipe Windows 10 you may void your warranty.
???

How so ?
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

I'm just saying that if you install another OS on the machine and something goes wrong with it under the warranty period, they may not look at it. I live in Japan and I think you live in Europe you your consumer protection laws may be a bit more friendlier than here so you may not have a problem. I've heard that here in Japan if you put one sticker on the outside of your phone and something goes wrong with it, they'll tell you to get lost and refuse to look at it.

I'm just saying that you may want to contact them first before you install to see if it's OK to save yourself some headaches later. ;)
ASX

Post by ASX »

NevilleGoddard wrote:I'm just saying that if you install another OS on the machine and something goes wrong with it under the warranty period, they may not look at it. I live in Japan and I think you live in Europe you your consumer protection laws may be a bit more friendlier than here so you may not have a problem. I've heard that here in Japan if you put one sticker on the outside of your phone and something goes wrong with it, they'll tell you to get lost and refuse to look at it.

I'm just saying that you may want to contact them first before you install to see if it's OK to save yourself some headaches later. ;)
Worth to note that at least some maker (Dell, that I know of, at least the last time I bought from them), allow you to send back a notebook without the hard disk (that may contain sensitive data), implying without an operating system, and that of course doesn't invalidate the warranty.

NevilleGoddard, I know that there are scammers out there that would do anything to not apply the warranty, but the serious makers already knows it is a big error.

Then, if instead we talk about "support", that's a different thing, likely they will support only the OS they provided with the product, and I guess that can be seen as a "reasonable behavior".

Even if the laws in EU may be seen in favor of the consumers, in practice it is not that relevant, I have already seen cases where the repair of an item require several months ... a fact that speak for itself; what is always relevant are the maker and seller reputations.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi Neville, ASX

As I live in a democratic country and as an adult with free will I have the right to choose MY favourite system and if the seller cancls my warranty it s my personal risk but HIS lost customer. 8-)
And updated status here:

bit tricky with MS, so I bought my own Win10 Home ed. tog. with new digital license and right now downloading GhostBSD 11.1 Xfce!
when both burned on DVD I ll try a new partitioning and give both systems about 120GB and install Win10 first.
Hope, all works well and I ll get back here for the Ghost-install with a :)

cheers
Achim
Last edited by hank2000 on Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Ok, Achim.

Go for it. :D
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Domo Arigatou Neville! ;-)