GhostBSD and OpenRC

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
ASX

Re: GhostBSD and OpenRC

Post by ASX »

dave-570 wrote:All I have to say about boot times and OpenRC is " if it ain't broke, don't fix it" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You don't need to worry much: there are so many things broken out there that is very unlikely we will find the time to "fix" what is not. :mrgreen:
Me being a suspicious person, and the programmer who wrote systemd being and "Employee" of Red hat, I think after red Hat has all of the Linux developers totally sucked into systemd, they will copyright it and the Linux will just be another Windows. Now because the programmer, I can't think of his name, is an employee, anything he codes is the property of Red hat!! I hope I'm wrong but the way every one jumped on systemd just seemed rather strange to me. Now there are some packages that won't even run without systemd, (windows syndrome again). I moved to the BSDs because i wanted a choice, besides the BSDs are much better.
Some of the core concepts at the base of systemd are actually quite good, the implementation a lot less, the deployement literally sucks.

Systemd will have some effects to the BSD world too, some software will depend on systemd features and it will be increasingly difficult to port/install/run it on FreeBSD/GhostBSD. But it will not be the end of the world, there will be old and new alternatives, that's how free software works and always did.
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

dave-570 wrote:[...] Now because the programmer, I can't think of his name, is an employee, anything he codes is the property of Red hat!! [...]
Haha! "I forgot his name" is an excellent way of avoiding to mention... *cough* Lennart Poettering *cough* *cough* even though everybody still knows who you mean! Just making fun of course. :lol:

Regarding your actual point: I don't like RedHat so much, either. However I don't think they'd do something like that even if they could (IMO it would even hurt their business more than support it). That aside, let me say this: Systemd is a lot (pun intended!): It's an init system, it's from RedHat, it's conquering most/all major Linux distros. But it's also GPL'd. There's no way RedHat or anybody could close it, forcing others to obey them. At that point somebody would fork Systemd (yay...) and continue on with it. This kind of conspiracy wouldn't work.

What I'm more concerned about is this tendency: POSIX=Linux=RedHat! IMO this is where their true power lies: Doing stuff their way and declaring it a "standard" (just think RPM packaging!) no matter if it makes other *nix-like systems grind their teeth. *BSD is not just init freedom. It's also freedom regarding the *nix way of doing things instead of just "works for us" solutions stuffed with Linuxisms.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

For anyone who is interested, I downloaded the openrc-master zip file and installed it on my spare laptop by unzipping it cding to it and then entering the command "gmake install". It seemed to speed boot times a little. However slim wouldn't start, so I had to login using the command prompt login. Then to get to the desktop I then had to enter the command "startxfce4" and I got to the desktop. I can probably make it work properly but I have lost interest in it since the GhostBSD devs aren't interested so I have lost interest and I have better things to do. ;)
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

NevilleGoddard wrote:I can probably make it work properly but I have lost interest in it since the GhostBSD devs aren't interested so I have lost interest and I have better things to do. ;)
Hi Neville,

it's not like we're not interested in this topic. On the contrary! We only stated that we won't be switching over anytime soon because there are a lot of other things to take care off. We definitely want to take a closer look at this in the future and Eric has hinted that it may even come as an optional feature during installation (I'm pretty sure that we won't drop the standard bsd-init that a lot of people are familar with, though).

I must ask you for some patience on this matter; there's a lot of work to do for GhostBSD 11.0. Let's talk about this topic again when we start thinking about 11.1 or something. Ok?
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

There's not enough people that is putting time on the development of this project, our focus is limited to what we can do.

For the moment been there's is people interested in to openrc, yes ok, but if there is no one to help implement openrc it is most likely something that would be put for later.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Oh and now that you have openrc working, it is more interesting.
ASX

Post by ASX »

NevilleGoddard wrote:I can probably make it work properly but I have lost interest in it since the GhostBSD devs aren't interested so I have lost interest and I have better things to do. ;)
I for one am not interested in a probability to make it work, either it will work or not.

The problem I know with parallel starting of services (not limited to OpenRC) is that it may broke the current LiveDVD setup, being able to have it running on an installed system and not on the liveDVD is of no interest to me.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Hi, kraileth, ASX and ericbsd
I looked at my last post and I realize it came out wrong. I could have written it better. I reread your old posts about this and I mistakenly thought there was no interest in openrc. I'm not impatient about this at all. Since you may consider openrc in the future I'll have a bit deeper look into it and let you know how it turns out. I'll see if I can get it to work properly (getting slim and startxfce4 to work properly under openrc).
Thanks again for GhostBSD.
ASX

Post by ASX »

HI,
NevilleGoddard wrote:I reread your old posts about this and I mistakenly thought there was no interest in openrc. .
No no, you read it correctly, OpenRC is of no interest to me at least. ;)
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

NevilleGoddard wrote:Since you may consider openrc in the future I'll have a bit deeper look into it and let you know how it turns out. I'll see if I can get it to work properly (getting slim and startxfce4 to work properly under openrc).
Yes, there's interest in OpenRC - not by everyone in the team and not as the standard (or even the only) init system, but as an option during installation. I'm actually very interested in it as it would be vital if I ever want to use GhostBSD for my standby duty: Booting up my Laptop with GhostBSD takes considerably longer than Linux and I could be violating SLAs due to that longer boot time! So it's not just that I want a faster boot process, I'm actually pretty much in need of it.

I'm happy that you're tinkering with it. Would you mind to write up your experience with it so far in a bit more detail or perhaps even in a tutorial? I'd be happy to try things out, too (I'll most likely find some time for it next weekend) and we could put it on the wiki. It'd be inofficial and not supported for now but it could be the base for future consideration.

And BTW: Prince also requested to use another init system like OpenRC. He favors Runit, though. I've used that with a little Linux distro that I built myself for learning purposes years ago and during the brief period of time that I used Void Linux (for those who don't know it: Think of it as a little more BSD-like "Arch"). And there are a lot of other alternatives. Would be nice to try them all out and make a comparison. Maybe I'll do something like that in the future, but this would take quite a bit of time and there are more important things to do first.