Up-Down scrollwheel problem in Caja running in VirtualBox

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
willbproggin

Up-Down scrollwheel problem in Caja running in VirtualBox

Post by willbproggin »

Greetings!

Congrats Eric and the team on the new release! 8-)

I am trying out Release 23.10.1, MATE version running in VirtualBox on Linux Mint. Host is x86_64 / AMD64 and guest is GhostBSD 64-bit.

In Caja on the guest, I scroll downward using scrollwheel on mouse and it properly scrolls the file list toward the end. When I scroll upward then Caja moves up one directory level instead of actually scrolling the file list to the beginning. I use Compact listing but this is happening on Icon, Compact and List views.

Here is a video of the problem: https://www.pismotek.com/media/ghost-ca ... issue.webm In the video I am using the mouse scrollwheel up and down continuously and the directory changes instead of the list scrolling up and down.

Any suggestions or is this a bug?

Thanks! :D
An imperfect being created by a perfect God! :D
willbproggin

Re: Up-Down scrollwheel problem in Caja running in VirtualBox

Post by willbproggin »

K, guess I'll just delete my VM until the next release. I really want to get behind GhostBSD, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of community support...
Xarius

Post by Xarius »

Is your software updated? I just installed a fresh copy today on actual hardware and I cannot replicate what is shown in your video.
willbproggin

Post by willbproggin »

Xarius wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:09 am Is your software updated? I just installed a fresh copy today on actual hardware and I cannot replicate what is shown in your video.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, fully updated and it still does this.

Thank you! :D
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

It is a hold, annoying bug that plages FreeBSD. I think if you remove moused in /etc/rc.conf it fixes the issue.
willbproggin

Post by willbproggin »

ericbsd wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:30 pm It is a hold, annoying bug that plages FreeBSD. I think if you remove moused in /etc/rc.conf it fixes the issue.
Thanks Eric. Unfortunately this did not fix the issue. I will find a real computer to install this on and see if it happens there.

Thank you! :D
willbproggin

Post by willbproggin »

Just as an update -- this does not happen on bare-metal, so it must be some VirtualBox problem. I have no idea what to troubleshoot beyond changing the pointing device in vbox's settings. Using "PS/2 mouse" and "USB tablet" both show the same behaviour...

Thanks anyway! :D
Xarius

Post by Xarius »

willbproggin wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:05 pm Just as an update -- this does not happen on bare-metal, so it must be some VirtualBox problem. I have no idea what to troubleshoot beyond changing the pointing device in vbox's settings. Using "PS/2 mouse" and "USB tablet" both show the same behaviour...

Thanks anyway! :D
Can confirm. I had a VM fired up to test out some intentional ZFS destruction/recovery, and it does do this in VirtualBox, but not on actual hardware. I already removed the VM, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the VB extensions that GhostBSD loads automatically.
willbproggin

Post by willbproggin »

Xarius wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:23 pm Can confirm. I had a VM fired up to test out some intentional ZFS destruction/recovery, and it does do this in VirtualBox, but not on actual hardware. I already removed the VM, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the VB extensions that GhostBSD loads automatically.
Thanks Xarius for the confirmation. I did not get a notification about your posting, but I do appreciate it! :D