Do I have enough RAM for ghostBSD in virtualbox in lubuntu?

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
mikethe1wheelnut

Do I have enough RAM for ghostBSD in virtualbox in lubuntu?

Post by mikethe1wheelnut »

Greetings!

..pretty sure this is my first post. This if the first time I've attempted to install ghostbsd.

As you can see from the attached image, it claims to be lacking memory. It needs 4 gigs, has only 2.
ghostBSD_error.jpg
I tried to get my computer to tell me about my ram, and got a confusing answer. I don't know if it's relevant..

Code: Select all

eriadarl@eriadarl-latitudee7440:~$ free -h
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:          3.7Gi       1.6Gi       722Mi       228Mi       1.4Gi       1.7Gi
Swap:            0B          0B          0B
I can tell you I re-arranged all my disk partitions to give the installation 32 gigs of memory, which is why I'm reporting ram, I assume -that- is what must be the problem.. I'm on a dell latitude e7440 laptop, running ghostbsd in a virtual box inside lubuntu.. maybe that just can't be done?
mikethe1wheelnut

Re: Do I have enough RAM for ghostBSD in virtualbox in lubuntu?

..I have a vague memory of the memory allocation process when setting up the virtual machine.. the wiki said I needed at least 4096 memory or something, but when I tried to give it that much, it refused.

"The base memory size must be changed to at least 4096 MB. If you wish to use ZFS, it will need to be at least 2048 MB. If your system has more RAM, use more. Any number within the green area is considered a safe value by VirtualBox, meaning it should not slow down your computer too much. When finished, click "Next." "
mikethe1wheelnut

First, I've realized this should be in support, not general, my bad.
Second, I realized I should clarify: The reason I chose a virtual machine for installation is that I don't have a gpt partitioned disk, and I read somewhere on the freebsd forums that I would need one if I wanted to install in a partition. (I would, because I also have linux on this computer). Given that ghostBSD -is- freebsd with more of the work done for you, it would not be at all surprising if these requirements were the same. indeed, it would be surprising if they weren't. so that's what I'm concluding, that it isn't going to work (on this machine) in a virtualbox, I need to put it in the primary partition. which will take at least another days worth of research.
wb7odyfred

Re: Need 4G RAM for ghostBSD in virtualbox in lubuntu?

Post by wb7odyfred »

If you had 8GB total ram in your PC system, you could give 4GB ram to your virtual machine. Seems that you have only 4GB (3.7gb) total dram in your PC system and and giving virtua machinel 2GB, Easier to downloa the GhostBSD.ISO file and burn into a USB flash drive and boot from USB Flash drive live image (no install necessary). The boot will copy itself from USB iinto PC Sysstem memory (need 4GB Dram memory)

GPT partitions, present GBI install works only with Free un partitioned disk space. GhostBSD creates 3 partitions 260MB FAT32 for the EPS EFI, 2048MB swap partition, ( Free Space -2048MB ) DATA parrtition A503 partition. EricBSD is working on a new installation program.

Glad to have you kicking the tires on GhostBSD , Mikethe1wheelnut. Fred
mikethe1wheelnut

Thank-you for the feedback!

For some extra clarity, is it possible to install ghostBSD in a primary partition defined by an MBR partition table? [I've been to the freebsd forums, and there are people there who claim that this is, indeed, possible, at least for freebsd. I've also looked at transitioning from mbr to gpt, and apparently this is also possible, if all else fails.] In each case, I would have to do at least a days worth of research in order to convince myself that I knew what I was doing.

As for the tires, thank you both of you for creating it! Apparently this whole thing is a skeleton-crew operation? The FreeBSD community should be grateful for you for helping new members into the fold!