New convert...

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
Bobo

New convert...

Post by Bobo »

Hello all,
Installed FreeBSD and since I'm new to non-Win OS's it was a bit confusing. I've been using Ubuntu -I heard Kubuntu is worth looking at - for a couple of months and am getting familiar with Linux/Unix. I downloaded and installed GBSD yesterday - and was knocked out by the efficiency and speed WOW!- and it went well. Because I'm so used to the hour plus install I thought I may have skipped a step and I wanted to make sure the install was using ZFS and not NTFS, if that's possible, so I reinstalled it. The printer didn't work but the OS was impressive. I've gotten used to the Win hour plus installation, slow boot process and the hour plus update. The terminal under Ubuntu's update was a huge relief! I reinstalled it a third time, this time with the printer turned on thinking this would help but the printer still didn't work. I watched several videos on YouTube for over an hour but every demo that I saw was very different from my setup. I spent some more time working with the software that was available in GBSD. The OS seems to recognize the printer (Epson WF-3540 ink jet printer connected via wifi to my Linksys router) but it still wouldn't print a test page. I tried the troubleshooting function but it seemed to go on for another 40 or 50 minutes without a solution. Is this normal at this point? Any hints or thoughts would be appreciated.
ericbsd
Developer

Re: New convert...

Post by ericbsd »

The detection on GhostBSD is not fully automatic like Ubuntu But with the Printer Setting it should get you going if the proper driver are installed.
lotech

Re: New convert...

Post by lotech »

I am coming from Linux, Debian in particular is my favorite distro and I am still using it as my primary OS. I on and off 'come back' to Ghost BSD, and I've seen improvement over the years. There's one thing I immediately noted is the Software Station in this version (23.06.01), there used to be a few seconds freeze every 2 characters I typed to search for software now almost gone, it still pauses but much shorter time. FreeBSD has come a long way, GhostBSD is the only user friendly FreeBSD release I know of, it's now very close to a modern Linux distro.

Regarding the printer, my ancient HP laser jet was detected and printed without hiccup, I wonder if you could try to change the driver settings to a generic one, so that it will print text only, to verify the connection.