Screen resolution on VMware

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
allu62

Screen resolution on VMware

Post by allu62 »

Hi. I'm actually playing around with VMware 16, having installed dozends of OS and with GhostBSD 22.06.18 the first working BSD. Everything works well (Update- and Software-Station are nicely done), except one serious problem: The screen resolution is only 1024x786 and (even after installation of open-vm-tools) this is the only choice given in the Monitor config of Control Center. I would be really greatful for help with this (for a Windows 3 machine 1024x768 is amazing, but for a modern OS it's really not enough). Thanks in advance.
zazlox

Re: Screen resolution on VMware

Post by zazlox »

see if you will be able to rerun the config tool as root . then do the change as you like

Code: Select all

vmware-config-tools.pl
. or make a xorg.config and put thye resolution you want. of course depend on what

Code: Select all

xrandr
will give you.

source :
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1013217
allu62

Re: Screen resolution on VMware

Post by allu62 »

Thanks for answering.

1. vmware-config-tools.pl: I used find / -type f -name vmware-config-tools.pl to find the script; it seems not to be there

2. running xandr without paramater, the only available screen resolution is 1024x768

3. in /etc/X11/xorg.conf there is only one device
Identifier "card0"
Driver "scfb"
must I add the open-vm parameters manually? Where do I find them? And then...?

Sorry, to bother you with staff that's finally not really important to me. It's all just trying out (sometimes really learning new things) and I haven't the time to pass hours and hours with one OS without any results. FreeBSD was the worst experience of my life. Perhaps I should just be happy that my GhostBSD is running (even if it's with only 1024x768 resolution) and that I succeeded to install Lazarus/Free Pascal and successfully build GUI projects on BSD. Or, maybe I should forget about all BSD and enjoy Windows, Linux and macOS?