BSD Newbie (Unix/Linux experienced)

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
dbarron

BSD Newbie (Unix/Linux experienced)

Post by dbarron »

Ok, after some years, I decided yesterday that I should try a BSD desktop. I chose (wait for it....) GhostBSD based primarily on booting it up and what it looked like (superficially) in the live environment.
So...I have some questions that since I don't have any real BSD experience (been years since I was a Solaris admin etc), may be quite newbieish. Please forgive me, I do try to search first.
1) Desktop (of various flavors, tried enlightenment, XFCE, Mate, and Sway) seems to lag a bit. Especially noticeable in Firefox on FaceBook or a forum, when typing and watching the lag be real. Is this likely 'just the way it is, based on priorities'? or some tweak that I should apply. Of note, my graphic environment is AMD Radeon RX 560 (not a new card, but should be very much adequate for average desktop experience). Neither Windows 11 nor any Linux flavor has shown this sort of lag/frame skipping during videos (I assume this to be the same thing).
2) How does one find (or encourage) ports of software that are newer? Example: Enlightenment, running 24.2, and 25.3 is available. I know I could just compile it..but I would prefer to have my desktop software maintained.

On the positive side, I hadn't imagined *BSD to have advanced so much in installation and desktop. It was pretty primitive (or seemed) last time I looked (several years ago, 2-4 probably). I am what is known in the Linux circles as a 'distro hopper'. I tend to have about 7 OS flavors on the pc at a time, GhostBSD now being the newest one. I like learning new things and seeing different approaches.
RodMyers

Re: BSD Newbie (Unix/Linux experienced)

Post by RodMyers »

Do you use telegram at all? the telegram channel has more activity than here, if you do.<https://t.me/ghostbsd>

1. Official desktop is MATE.

how much memory does the computer have? I use MATE on facebook, and have no issues. Just curious. I only have experience on intel video chips

2. Ports. install them from the "Software Station". I forget just how @ericbsd changes the ports tree. But installing them via "Software Station" is the way to get them on the computer.

Hope this helps
dbarron

Post by dbarron »

I actually prefer forums over 'interactive' help. I'm sad with the current deterioration of most forums (not just PC oriented, but gardening,etc). That being said, I'll throw a plea out on Telegram.
I have 24 GB of memory on a fairly powerful desktop (8 core AMD of about 3 years of age) with both SSD and traditional HD (note the BSD is on the HD, but that isn't an issue for Linux distros in this manner).
I tried the different desktops to make sure it wasn't a particular compositor issue.
Yeah, I'm naturally a cmd line guy, but I've played by the rules (so far) and am using Software Station.
dbarron

Post by dbarron »

Neville on Telegram provided me something to try affecting the kernel scheduler.
In /etc/sysctl.conf add kern.scheduler.steal_thresh=1
It seems to have done the trick. Posting in case it will help anyone else.
RodMyers

Post by RodMyers »

saw that. excellent
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

@dbarron I have been testing a couple of options on Nvidia and Intel GPU, I will most likely add kern.scheduler.steal_thresh=1 by default.