[SOLVED] Firefox profile (.mozilla folder) copied from Arch Linux incompatible

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
security_lover

[SOLVED] Firefox profile (.mozilla folder) copied from Arch Linux incompatible

Post by security_lover »

I just replaced Arch Linux with GhostBSD. After installation Update Station reported that there are no new updates. I then copied my old .mozilla folder to my GhostBSD's home & then when I launched Firefox it said that the installed version is too old & the only option left was to create a new profile.

I still have my old .mozilla folder backed up. When will I get the latest Firefox under GhostBSD ?

@ericbsd
That issue where data on EXT4 partitions were vanishing is now fixed.
Last edited by security_lover on Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am paranoid about security !
ericbsd
Developer

Re: Firefox profile (.mozilla folder) copied from Arch Linux incompatible

Post by ericbsd »

Hi security_lover.

Yeah, if the version is not the same as the other Firefox, it complains and does not let you use your old profile.

There is an update that is syncing right now. Not sure if Firefox will be the correct version.

What I do with Firefox I sync.
security_lover

Post by security_lover »

I just installed updates that included Firefox but still it won't accept my old profile. So I followed https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... ld-profile& copied the bookmarks and passwords.
security_lover

Post by security_lover »

@ericbsd
I am eager to ask a question. Right now GhostBSD is offering Firefox ver 95.0.2. Is vanilla FreeBSD offering 95.0.2 ? Or does GhostBSD take some time to pull what's in FreeBSD repos. Another thing I want to mention is the fact that if the visit Mozilla's Firefox download page the version I get is 96.0.2 which is the same that I was using under Arch Linux. Mozilla offers a TAR for Linux. I wonder why Mozilla doesn't offer a TAR for FreeBSD.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

FreeBSD Firefox is still at 95.0.2. Here is the info https://www.freshports.org/www/firefox/. FreeBSD does not update right away.

I try to update packages every week or two weeks. If there is a security issue, I will do it right away.

Mozilla does not offer tar for any BSD. Probably they don't see BSD as OS for desktops.
security_lover

Post by security_lover »

Understood.
If there is a security issue, I will do it right away.
Manjaro Linux which is based on Arch does the same thing like you. They maintain their own repos & release updates every week or so. But for web browsers like Firefox they don't wait at all. As soon as Mozilla releases a new version Manjaro users receive the update within hours.

Now unless the latest Firefox appears in the FreeBSD repos there's nothing that you can do. That much I can understand.
security_lover

Post by security_lover »

Today I received a Firefox update which takes it to 97.0 and now my old .mozilla is accepted
ericbsd
Developer

Re: [SOLVED] Firefox profile (.mozilla folder) copied from Arch Linux incompatible

Post by ericbsd »

Nice