Change login screen for X?

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
RJPugh

Change login screen for X?

Post by RJPugh »

Good evening. I'm trying to change the X manager in GhostBSD. My system is a brand new install, from earlier this evening.

Back when I was using TrueOs, when starting the system I was presented with a login screen that allowed me to select a user, and an X manager (via pull down menu). I think this was a version of Slim, but I'm not sure. At any rate I would like to have something like this again, so I would like to know if/how it can be done.

I suspect this has been covered elsewhere, and I just haven't found it yet. A pointer to the appropriate document or thread would be most welcome. It may also be that this is already in place but I just need to tweak something. Again, directions would be appreciated. I'm not a total newbie, but I am out of practice.

Thanks in advance.
ericbsd
Developer

Re: Change login screen for X?

Post by ericbsd »

You will need to install, PCDM, and update /etc/rc.conf, if you want what TrueOS had.

I advise you to stay with lightdm since it is starting GhostBSD Mate and XFCE properly.
RJPugh

Post by RJPugh »

Can lightdm be configured to handle multiple X managers? Or other neat tricks for that matter.

I'm not familiar with lightdm; curiosity is knocking.

Thanks!
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

With LightDM select and start any Desktop and Window manager.
RJPugh

Post by RJPugh »

I'm guessing I want to look at the greeter settings. Currently the login screen doesn't give me any options beyond user name.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Did you install another desktop or window manager. if so you should see an mate icon beside the user name. There is only one problem if the window manager doesn’t install an .desktop in xsession.
RJPugh

Post by RJPugh »

I installed Window Maker, but nothing changed. I'll have to see if there is a .desktop file for it.

As soon as my daughter gets off the computer. <grin>
RJPugh

Post by RJPugh »

Update: I installed XFCE and CDE.

XFCE comes up as an option in LightDM. But CDE and Window Maker do not. I've found tips on how to add the desktop manager style environments to LightDM, but not much on the very old school x-window managers like Window Maker. I don't know where CDE falls in that spectrum.