pre-install questions (hardware, software, etc.)

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
ghosted

pre-install questions (hardware, software, etc.)

Post by ghosted »

hello people!

i'm seriously considering swapping Linux (Manjaro) for GhostBSD but i have some questions first...

1. anyone know whether the AMD Ryzen 5 3400G APU is supported, including 3D accel?

2. when i used Windows i was a big fan of Notepad++ and on Linux, Kate - is there a similar, well-rounded code editor for Ghost?

3. i have a USB Mayflower Arc Mk2 AMP/DAC combo that *must* work flawlessly - any foreseeable problems with this?

4. Ghost appears to be using PulseAudio for the audio subsystem, is that correct? what's the status with PipeWire on BSD?

5. PulseEffects is now EasyEffects and is not compatible with PulseAudio so far as i know - is there an alternative for BSD? what i want to do is to automatically apply certain effects (EQ, loudness normalize) based on what output device is active

6. software which must work...

Okular (or similar multi-format file viewer)
Mumble
qBittorrent
SMPlayer
LibreOffice
Flirc
KeePassXC
Redshift (with a system tray applet!) (or something very similar that allows temp and brightness control with mouse wheel)
ericbsd
Developer

Re: pre-install questions (hardware, software, etc.)

Post by ericbsd »

ghosted wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:07 pm hello people!

i'm seriously considering swapping Linux (Manjaro) for GhostBSD but i have some questions first...

1. anyone know whether the AMD Ryzen 5 3400G APU is supported, including 3D accel?
I do know that most AMD GPUs are supported, but I can't release say. The best thing to do is download the ISO and try it. if you get to the Desktop it is supported for sure.
ghosted wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:07 pm 2. when i used Windows i was a big fan of Notepad++ and on Linux, Kate - is there a similar, well-rounded code editor for Ghost?
Kate, VScode, and Sublime Text are available to install.
ghosted wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:07 pm 3. i have a USB Mayflower Arc Mk2 AMP/DAC combo that *must* work flawlessly - any foreseeable problems with this?
The best thing to do is to boot the live system and look at dmesg.
ghosted wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:07 pm 4. Ghost appears to be using PulseAudio for the audio subsystem, is that correct? what's the status with PipeWire on BSD?
Seems to be available but I never tried it. https://www.freshports.org/multimedia/pipewire/
ghosted wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:07 pm 5. PulseEffects is now EasyEffects and is not compatible with PulseAudio so far as i know - is there an alternative for BSD? what i want to do is to automatically apply certain effects (EQ, loudness normalize) based on what output device is active
There is PulseEffects but audio/calf-lv2 does not build so it is not available as a package.
ghosted wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:07 pm 6. software which must work...

Okular (or similar multi-format file viewer)
Mumble
qBittorrent
SMPlayer
LibreOffice
Flirc
KeePassXC
Redshift (with a system tray applet!) (or something very similar that allows temp and brightness control with mouse wheel)
Flirc is for sure not available. The rest should be available. You can look at https://www.freshports.org/.
ghosted

Re: pre-install questions (hardware, software, etc.)

Post by ghosted »

thank you Eric for your reply - i appreciate it