While installing updates of 8MB only a whooping 645 packages got reinstalled .... What's the reason ?

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
security_lover

While installing updates of 8MB only a whooping 645 packages got reinstalled .... What's the reason ?

Post by security_lover »

Today when I tried to update GhostBSD for the second time I noticed that only 8MB is needed to be downloaded. I used these commands

Code: Select all

sudo pkg update
sudo pkg upgrade -f
The download process ended very quickly but then I was surprised to see that total of 645 packages got reinstalled.
That's huge. Almost the entire OS.

Why did this happen ?

Note : I just did an experiment. I ran the same commands again & found that the command sudo pkg upgrade -f is again trying to reinstall 645 packages again even when there are no new updates available.

I looking for the correct command. By correct command I mean the command that will do the same thing that Update Station does.
I am paranoid about security !
ericbsd
Developer

Re: While installing updates of 8MB only a whooping 645 packages got reinstalled .... What's the reason ?

Post by ericbsd »

Using -f, you force all packaged to upgrade even if there is no update. The best practice is to let Update Station do the job.

Update Station looks for kernel upgrades with pkg update -f if there is a warning Update Station will run pkg upgrade -f. If there is no warning with pkg update -f Update Station runs pkg upgrade.
security_lover

Re: While installing updates of 8MB only a whooping 645 packages got reinstalled .... What's the reason ?

Post by security_lover »

Okay in that case I will use Update Station only. Its no big deal. Its just that I have been using the CLI under Linux for system maintenance for many years now.
I am paranoid about security !