Do Windows Remember Their Last-open Position/Size?

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
mushroom

Do Windows Remember Their Last-open Position/Size?

Post by mushroom »

Hi all,
I've been using Windows since the mid-1990's and I've never really been satisfied. I've also tried Linux and FreeBSD many times over the years, but there were always lack-of-software issues to bring me back to Windows.

But now that the software available on Linux and the BSD's is catching up, I'm looking once again at making the switch. Windows has been behaving badly over the last few weeks, repeatedly installing and uninstalling a broken update patch (20H2 to be exact). And this morning, I woke up to the BSOD. Morning is the worst time to be faced with such nonsense as I'm sure most will agree. How to deal with a borked computer when I'm not awake enough to operate a coffeemaker (my wife does that) and all that's involved there is to pour the water in? (sigh)

Anyway, getting to the point... There are two OS/window manager/file manager features I'd rather not leave behind:
1) Other that a few exceptions (Inkscape and Blender come to mind) any application window I close remembers its position and size so it can reopen in exactly the same place (with the window being the same size) next time. I know that the GTK team has dropped this behaviour from the 4.0 version of their toolkit because they say it's up to the window manager to deal with such things. However, I'm not familiar enough with current incarnations of posix-based window managers to know which will step in and do this.

I use three monitors, so having every application open on the main screen means I have to then move them into place. It's a small thing, but doing it over and over a couple dozen times a day just gets annoying.

2) File Explorer's context menu integration is just about the handiest thing I've ever worked with. A lot of applications (Notepad++, XnView, etc.) will add file associations as well as functionality in the context menu so that opening files using those applications is as easy as double-clicking or (at worst) RMB-click-select. With a bit of work, I can also add my own custom entries in the context menu so I can, for instance, double-click to bring up an image in XnView or RMB-click-select to open it in Photoshop.

Are there any file managers that offer this type of integration and association?

Thanks for reading such a long and involved message. I look forward to your responses.
nevets

Re: Do Windows Remember Their Last-open Position/Size?

Post by nevets »

The MATE desktop is the default for GhostBSD.
2. File associations = in Caja right click on target -> chose 'other application' and set up preferred default association in dialogue.
1. Window behaviour is either top left or centre [System -> Control Centre -> Windows -> Placement]. There may be more options in the dconf editor [Applications -> System Tools -> dconf Editor....?
Steve
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

Thanks, Steve.
nevets

Post by nevets »

I found this project:
https://www.nongnu.org/devilspie2/
if you wanted to have a play....
The pkg exists in the Control Centre -> Software Station repository.
"Devilspie2 is a window matching utility, allowing the user to perform scripted actions on windows as they are created. For example you can script a terminal program to always be positioned at a specific screen position, or position a window on a specific workspace."
Steve