rc versus openrc questions

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
daylight

rc versus openrc questions

Post by daylight »

i am working on wrapping my understanding around how openrc affects operations in GhostBSD. some entries in /etc/rc.conf do not seem to have any affect. for example - an explicit webcamd_enable="NO" in /etc/rc.conf does not block the webcam, it still shows up in rc-status as being active after reboot, but rc-update delete webcamd does turn it off.

it almost seems as if the controlling mechanism is database driven and not file driven as in freebsd, is that correct? i have not found any docs that actually explain the functional concepts involved. if it is file driven where is the control file, if db driven, is it sqllite as in the package system?

can anyone point me towards docs that fully explain how openrc works? thanks in advance.....
ouaille_aime_scier_

Re: rc versus openrc questions

Post by ouaille_aime_scier_ »

Hello daylight,

Indeed, GhostBSD is a little different from FreeBSD especially for the init system. The daemonized services are started with openRC and not via the rc.conf file as in FreeBSD.
This rc file still allows you to initialize drivers or functionnalities for your hardware.
daylight

Re: rc versus openrc questions

Post by daylight »

to answer my own question, openrc is symlink driven by entries in the /etc/runlevels/xxx directories