Pcbsd

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
Scott

Pcbsd

Post by Scott »

There used to be an OS called Pcbsd. I installed it but the mouse had issues that broke the deal for me. It was a great OS though and I was super dissapointed. Then I understood that it became Trueos,but where Pcbsd was a desktop system Trueos was sever oriented. Now I understand GhostBsd is based on Trueos. So ultimately Ghostbsd used to be the Pcbsd desktop OS?
nevets

Re: Pcbsd

Post by nevets »

Hi Scott... in short,
PCBSD -> TrueOs -> Project Trident.
Then Trident switched to Void Linux from FreeBSD.
GhostBSD was/is independent of the above progression.
Steve
Scott

Post by Scott »

Hmm. That's interesting. I wonder where I got the idea that Ghostbsd Came from Trueos.
Are there any other Bsd flavors that supply a desktop like this one does?
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Scott wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:29 am Hmm. That's interesting. I wonder where I got the idea that Ghostbsd Came from Trueos.
No, the idea comes more from Ubuntu, FreeBSD and PCBSD when I started to use FreeBSD I was a Ubuntu User. There was no FreeBSD distro with Gnome2 at the time so I start GhostBSD. GhostBSD was a thing before TrueOS started.
Scott wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:02 pm Now I understand GhostBsd is based on Trueos. So ultimately Ghostbsd used to be the Pcbsd desktop OS?
GhostBSD started in 2009 as a Gnome2 desktop based on FreeBSD, GhostBSD is not PCBSD or from PC-BSD.
nevets wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:52 am Hi Scott... in short,
PCBSD -> TrueOs -> Project Trident.
Then Trident switched to Void Linux from FreeBSD.
GhostBSD was/is independent of the above progression.
Steve
Project Trident is not TrueOS, TrueOS dropped desktop version so Ken created Project Trident to continue Lumina with TrueOS.

What really happened before the TrueOS development stopped GhostBSD and Project Trident was to be distros of TrueOS. Something more like this.
-> Project Trident
TrueOS --
-> GhostBSD