TrueOS abandoned

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
Vermilion

TrueOS abandoned

Post by Vermilion »

Hello, just read the news about trueOS was abandoned. As I love GhostBSD, what does that mean for its future? Any plans?
ericbsd
Developer

Re: TrueOS abandoned

Post by ericbsd »

We still continue the current direction we are on right now, there is no major change coming. GhostBSD does not depend on TrueOS since 19.09. The project that we depend on is FreeBSD and OpenRC.
Vermilion

Post by Vermilion »

Thank you @ericbsd for your reply, you saved my day ;)
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

Hi Eric! My heart sank when I heard that TrueOS is being abandoned. I'm glad to hear GBSD will continue.

However, at one point you had indicated you wanted to move to TrueOS (away from base FreeBSD). I assume the move was to allow access to the newest drivers and whatnot (and to support the worthy TrueOS project). Do you have any insight on how/if you will be continuing to use CURRENT or will you be focusing on RELEASE?

Also from what I can tell, TrueOS was the project that was pushing LibreSSL forward in FreeBSD. I don't have a GBSD workstation here (mea culpa) so I can't tell what project GBSD uses, but I was wondering if there is any indication on what your plan for that might be LibreSSL/OpenSSL?

Anyway, keep up the great work. It was PC-BSD that got me into FreeBSD so I think it's important to have a "distro" that is easy for beginners.

Long Live GhostBSD!
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

We switch to STABLE, just for stable ABI, in current it changes too often. The last code of TrueOS was using OpenSSL and today we are using OpenSSL.