pkg upgrade vs update station

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
broozar

pkg upgrade vs update station

Post by broozar »

hi everyone, this is my first GhostBSD install and I just gut an update notification. Running pkg upgrade and update station have the same number of new packs and packs that need to be upgraded, but differ massively in the number of packages that need a reinstall. Why is that? I don't have a particularly fast internet connection, so getting nearly 600 additional packages actually makes a difference to me.

slughorn

Re: pkg upgrade vs update station

Post by slughorn »

Is it not always as much. But you get weekly an update. I prefer pkg update and pkg upgrade
You can see what happens, especially if you have slow net connection .
With Update Station it seems sometimes if nothing happens. But it is only the impression of the impatient one in front of the screen.
ericbsd
Developer

Re: pkg upgrade vs update station

Post by ericbsd »

broozar wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:53 am hi everyone, this is my first GhostBSD install and I just gut an update notification. Running pkg upgrade and update station have the same number of new packs and packs that need to be upgraded, but differ massively in the number of packages that need a reinstall. Why is that? I don't have a particularly fast internet connection, so getting nearly 600 additional packages actually makes a difference to me.

Your command is wrong when there is os packages upgrade you need to do a forced upgrade.

Code: Select all

sudo pkg upgrade -f
All packages need to be updated to avoid kernel and system problems with some packages.