HP 52000 series ptinter

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
Georgiaboy

HP 52000 series ptinter

Post by Georgiaboy »

Hi
I'm having trouble trying to install my H{P 52000 series all in one usb inkjet. I installed cups and had looked for the HP tools etc but couldn't find that nor anything else to help out. For some reason I'm not able to get print settings open either. As you can tell I'm new to BSD system and have looked through the forum here for anything to do with installing and setting up HP printers etc. The printer is wireless and hooked up to the pc which is hooked into the router.

Thanks in advance for the help.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Re: HP 52000 series ptinter

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Install the hplip package.

pkg ins hplip

Open the terminal, login as root. Then run

hp-setup

Then follow the instructions. It should find the printer and install the correct drivers
Georgiaboy

Post by Georgiaboy »

NevilleGoddard wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:27 am Install the hplip package.

pkg ins hplip

Open the terminal, login as root. Then run

hp-setup

Then follow the instructions. It should find the printer and install the correct drivers
Thanks NefillGoddard!!! I'll give that a shot as soon as I get on the laptop and see what happens. Sweet.

You know, I've been checking and wondering all along about commands here for the cli. I've been able to find 'cheat sheets' of sorts for like Mageia, Fedora and Debian but so far not for Ghost. Are commands here written down anywhere to look at and see how to use??? I used to do things by synaptic or package managers but now have gotten to where I'm actually liking using the cli more and more in things that I do. So one of the first things I usually do is to go looking around for the cli commands whenever I try to use something new. Again, thanks for the help. Will get back and let know how it went and if I 'screwed it up more'. ;)

Georgiaboy
Georgiaboy

Post by Georgiaboy »

Ok. I ran the first command. Now when trying to do the second I'm getting the following error message:

Code: Select all

root@son-of-venus:~ # hp-setup

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.17.11)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

Copyright (c) 2001-15 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

warning: No display found.
error: hp-setup requires GUI support (try running with --qt3). Also, try using interactive (-i) mode.
root@son-of-venus:~ # 

[code]
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Strange. You should have all the gui software already installed.
Try the following.

pkg ins py36-qt5-core py36-qt5-dbussupport py36-qt5-gui py36-sip py36-qt5-widgets

Then try as root again

hp-setup
Georgiaboy

Post by Georgiaboy »

root@son-of-venus:~ # pkg ins py36-qt5-core py36-qt5-dbussupport py36-qt5-gui py36-sip py36-qt5-widgets
Updating GhostBSD_PKG repository catalogue...
GhostBSD_PKG repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
The most recent versions of packages are already installed

Georgiaboy

Post by Georgiaboy »

root@son-of-venus:~ # hp-setup

warning: No display found.
error: hp-setup requires GUI support (try running with --qt3). Also, try using interactive (-i) mode.

Georgiaboy

Post by Georgiaboy »

Decided to run the following commands as well to see what happens. I accepted the default bu then went to the other just to see what would happen as well. Here's both results.

root@son-of-venus:~ # hp-setup -i

(Note: Defaults for each question are maked with a '*'. Press <enter> to accept the default.)

--------------------------------
| SELECT CONNECTION (I/O) TYPE |

Num       Connection  Description                                               
            Type                                                                  
  --------  ----------  ----------------------------------------------------------
  0*        usb         Universal Serial Bus (USB)                                
  1         net         Network/Ethernet/Wireless (direct connection or JetDirect)

Enter number 0...1 for connection type (q=quit, enter=usb*) ? 0

Using connection type: usb

error: No device selected/specified or that supports this functionality.
root@son-of-venus:~ # hp-setup -i

(Note: Defaults for each question are maked with a '*'. Press <enter> to accept the default.)

| SELECT CONNECTION (I/O) TYPE |

Num       Connection  Description                                               
            Type                                                                  
  --------  ----------  ----------------------------------------------------------
  0*        usb         Universal Serial Bus (USB)                                
  1         net         Network/Ethernet/Wireless (direct connection or JetDirect)

Enter number 0...1 for connection type (q=quit, enter=usb*) ? 1

Using connection type: net

error: No device selected/specified or that supports this functionality.

Georgiaboy

Post by Georgiaboy »

I was in the software station looking at some of the stuff and noticed about the gtk2 and gtk3. both mentioned GIMP. First one said old version, second one said current version. So 'Dummy' me decided to get rid of the 'old' version. Bad, bad, bad thing to do. Noticed that my office selection had disappeared from the applications. So, decided to reinstall it. Did that and went back to applications. Still didn't see. Knowing that some things require a reboot I did that. ###. Boots straight to tty saying that it had some 'unrepairable' error message. Tried to reboot again(mind was tired, very long day) and got same thing. Decided to just call it a night after my ah 'learning' experiences. Will tackle on how to get it back up and running using the tty or if fail just reinstall and pick up where I left off because I know that I'll have the same issues I had first time. But at least I know how to get it to this far where can finish troubleshooting and get that gal working. I'm doing the USB bit because that's what's been recommended. Just heads up, I'm going through the pc but the pc is hooked to wifi router. I had MX, Debian and others on there before so I know it works going through the wifi.
Any rate NevilleGoddard please keep an eye out on this posting because I will be back in to pick up where we left off at. :)

Thanks
Georgiaboy
Georgiaboy

Post by Georgiaboy »

@ NevilleGoddard
Well, decided to just boot to user land by the startx command for now until ericbsd gets the ntpdate error fixed and pushed out on an update.

Ready to pick up with this printer issue where we left off at.

Thanks for all the help. Figure that by just keeping at this something will click into place and work.

Georgiaboy.