can't install on Virtualbox

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
gn00b

can't install on Virtualbox

Post by gn00b »

Please forgive my ignorance. I am a noob. I configured a Virtualbox virtual machine. I set it up to boot from the ISO image. I got it to boot into and run as Live CD. The Install GhostBSD application icon is right on the desktop. I open it. I go with the defaults and enter required information (timezone, install disk, passwords). I click Install. I sit back, see the slideshow, watch the progress bar and above it the tasks the installer is doing. Then after five minutes it crashes. Restarting Virtualbox doesn't help. Restarting the host machine doesn't help. The host is an iMac running El Capitan. I've created other Virtualbox machines with few problems. Can someone please help? :?:
ericbsd
Developer

Re: can't install on Virtualbox

Post by ericbsd »

How much ram did you give the VM?
gn00b

Post by gn00b »

ericbsd wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:41 am How much ram did you give the VM?
I followed the wiki instructions exactly.
gn00b

Post by gn00b »

Update: So I got an idea. I decided to try making a virtual machine on VMWare Fusion 7. I got the same result. Then I thought maybe it was the ISO file. BINGO! I tried opening it on the desktop. I got an error message: The following disk images couldn’t be opened Image GhostBSD18.12.iso Reason no mountable file systems. I tried downlooading it again, but got the same result. I guess the next step is to try an older version.
gn00b

Post by gn00b »

SUCCESS! So I did as I said and downloaded an old version. Specifically GhostBSD11.0-PREALPHA2-20161110-074654-mate-amd64. I opened it on the desktop and I saw all the goodies inside so I was pretty sure it would work. I created a new virtual machine. Booted into the disk image. Ran the installer. It worked on the first try. YAY! :geek: