Weird, Concerning Experience!

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Re: Weird, Concerning Experience!

Post by NevilleGoddard »

By the way if you don't want the drive anymore someone is willing to pay for it. There will be no expense to you. We will analyse the drive to find out what happened..
Please consider this.
Thanks very much again.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Thanks very much!!
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

mdiemer, sorry to bother you but, could you try one more command please?

sudo find / -ctime +7 ! -ctime +11 | xargs ls -la {} > /tmp/list.txt

however, those ctime values need to be adjusted based on the date you run that command. so that the first would be the number of days betwen now and Jan 23rd and the last would be the number of days between now and Jan 19th
Then please upload that file.

Also could you please tell us the version of GhostBSD (i.e. the number on the downloaded ISO) that you are using.

Members of the GhostBSD team are very interested in having a look at the hard drive. Would you be interested in sending it to us? There could potentially be very valuable information on the hard drive that could help us out a lot.

We would of course be willing to compensate you financially for your lost hard drive.

Sincerely, Neville
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Dear mdiemer
Thanks very much for the information.

About giving up the drive. I understand. Unfortunately we cannot help you much without the drive. If it happens again please record it with your phone so we can see what is going on.

Thanks very much again.

Neville
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Definitely I would say your system has been compromised. I would definitely reinstall GhostBSD on that drive. If you're feeling adventurous you may want to try to reproduce what happened and record it this time if it's not too much trouble. :D
Reinstalling GhostBSD should fix the problem completely. If you really want to be safe, there is free software available called Darik's Boot and Nuke. You can find out about it here https://dban.org/ .
This software will pretty safely wipe your hard drive of all data. I've used it and it works well but it can be slow depending on what wipe options you choose.
Your best option would be talking to someone who knows more about this kind of thing than me. If you know someone personally that could check your drive and find out what happened that would be great.
You asked before if you thought it may have been flash causing the problem. If you want to find out if flash is installed on GhostBSD. type this command as normal user

pkg info flashplayer

if it's installed, you'll get output something like this:

flashplayer-32.0_1
Name : flashplayer
Version : 32.0_1
Installed on : Fri Jan 25 20:32:59 2019 JST
Origin : www/flashplayer
Architecture : FreeBSD:12:*
Prefix : /usr/local
Categories : multimedia www
Licenses :
Maintainer : emulation@FreeBSD.org
WWW : https://www.adobe.com/
Comment : Native wrapper around Linux Flash Player
Annotations :
repo_type : binary
repository : GhostBSD-ports
Flat size : 0.00B
Description :
Wrapper around Linux Flash Player that allows native browsers to display
Flash content.

WWW: https://www.adobe.com/

if it's not installed you'll get:
pkg: No package(s) matching flashplayer

If you decide to reinstall GhostBSD, please let us know what you think on the forums here or the Telegram channel

All the best