Bootloader May Not Be Working

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
plumtreed

Bootloader May Not Be Working

Post by plumtreed »

Many people here seem to get along with GhostBSD but I haven't even been able to boot into my live USB .........this is how I tried to copy it to a usb stick.........'sudo dd if=~/Downloads/GhostBSD18.10.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=4M conv=sync' ....which seemed to work in most respects except it's unwillingness to boot.

.....when I restart my laptop it goes right to grub and the Linux OS's installed. Which suggests the GhostBSD bootloader is not working.

I tried it on my eeePC701, which is 32bit and it starts to the point where it is discovered to not be 64bit.........this, to me indicates a problem with the boot loader.

I expected the bootloader to be included with the download and be installed to the live USB........the USB boot is the first item in the BIOS boot list.

I would appreciate a suggestion as to how to boot into the GhostBSD live USB
slughorn

Re: Bootloader May Not Be Working

Post by slughorn »

My USB3 HDD doesn't mount. Can it be that you have the same issue?
Try a CD-image.
plumtreed

Post by plumtreed »

.....not that, this is an older laptop.......no USB3 here

Thanks very much for your reply....appreciate it
plumtreed

Post by plumtreed »

......have I misunderstood, I expected to be able to set up a live USB, which I could boot into in order to proceed with a full install?

I seem to be getting little help so I feel I must be wrong in this idea........also, reading what is here suggests I can expect trouble with WIFI.....I'm running BCM4312 which doesn't always work!
plumtreed

Post by plumtreed »

....guess I know why it is called GhostBSD