GhostBSD tools on FreeBSD

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
Flatliner

GhostBSD tools on FreeBSD

Post by Flatliner »

I have enjoyed using GhostBSD off and on through out the years. Thank you for the hard work and sticking it out while other desktop based BSD operating systems have bit the dust. I have a couple of questions. I have FreeBSD installed on a laptop, and I was wondering if there was a way I could install the GhostBSD backup-station on it? I see that it is on GitHub but sadly I don't have a lot of experience using git to install software. If it is possible could someone walk me through the install process using git? Also I really like the ability to use the mate-tweak tool that GhostBSD has, is there anyway to install that on FreeBSD? If so could I get some help walking me through the install? Thanks again for the great job you guys do with GhostBSD.
nevets

Re: GhostBSD tools on FreeBSD

Post by nevets »

Before backup station I used the beadm pkg tool.
It's command line yet fairly simple.
beadm list
to view all snapshots of t boot environment
sudo beadm create "name"
to create a snapshot.
sudo beadm destroy "name"
to destroy a snapshot.
----------------------------------------
Otherwise you can 'port and make install':
1. sudo git clone https://github.com/ghostbsd/ports /usr/ports
Takes a while and builds the ports tree in /usr/ports/
2. navigate to the /usr/ports/sysutils/backup-station folder creaated by the cloning process
3. from this directory [usr/ports/sysutils/backup-station] in a terminal emulator:
sudo make install clean
The port will compile.
There will be other pkgs required to make the install. a compiler and dialog4ports for instance.
Review the make file to see what BUILDS-SEPENDS exist and pre-install them the usual way [pkg install] beforehand. If not, the make install will port those too and it's time consuming.
:-)
Flatliner

Re: GhostBSD tools on FreeBSD

Post by Flatliner »

I finally got around to trying to install backup station on FreeBSD 14. It works like a champ. Thanks for the help.