Someone adjust my monitor settings

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
gT

Someone adjust my monitor settings

Post by gT »

Hello,

my system is a i7-860 asrock board with a NVidia GTX 960, 2GB video board. my Monitor is a ASUS 4k monitor connected with DisplayPort.

With 4K the character onscreen are to small for my eyes, so I adjust the screen resolution 2560x1440.

BUT, every time after "someone" put my system/monitor to sleep mode and I woke up the system I have the old 3840x2160 mode.

Where can I disable the sleep mode, or better, who (which program) think it is a good idea to set the 4K mode for the monitor?

/gT/
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Re: Someone adjust my monitor settings

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Hi, gT
To set the resolution across reboots you have to create a file in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

The file should be called screen-resolution.conf

Place the following lines in it:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
SubSection "Display"
Modes "2560x1440"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Save the file and reboot and the screen should always be this resolution.

There may be better solution, but I'm not sure about this one.
If the on screen characters are too small you may fix the problem by keeping the native (3840x2160) resolution and increasing the font size. In xfce you go to settings > appearance > fonts
You should see default font with a number next to the font name
Click on the number and choose a higher number and all desktop and menu fonts will be larger and this should fix your problem.
If you're using MATE the procedure should be something similar.
4K monitor eh? Lucky you. :D
gT

Post by gT »

NevilleGoddard wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:02 am To set the resolution across reboots you have to create a file in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

I already have this file. That is not the solution. After the screen saver or whatever send the monitor into the sleep modus I have the wrong screen resolution.
NevilleGoddard wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:02 am There may be better solution, but I'm not sure about this one.
If the on screen characters are too small you may fix the problem by keeping the native (3840x2160) resolution and increasing the font size. In xfce you go to settings > appearance > fonts
You should see default font with a number next to the font name
Click on the number and choose a higher number and all desktop and menu fonts will be larger and this should fix your problem.
That was also not the solution, but in the fonts-tab there is also a field for the DPI-Value of the monitor. It was set to 96dpi (wrong) and is now 157dpi.
Now I could read the characters without magnifying glass and the window decorations also have the right size. Thank you!!

/gT/
and a second time: thank you!
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

I'm glad you fixed your screen.
But I don't know why your resolution keeps changing if you have the configuration file. It should stay at the desired resolution.
Perada

Post by Perada »

NevilleGoddard wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:54 am I'm glad you trust this D-Bal Max review and you fixed your screen.
But I don't know why your resolution keeps changing if you have the configuration file. It should stay at the desired resolution.
My resolution keeps changing as well ever since I switched to Windows 10. Did anyone else have this issue on Windows 10?
Diana 08

Post by Diana 08 »

gT wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:30 pm
NevilleGoddard wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:02 am To set the resolution across reboots you have to create a file in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

I already have this file. That is not the solution. After the screen saver or whatever send the monitor into the sleep modus I have the wrong screen resolution.
NevilleGoddard wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:02 am There may be better solution, but I'm not sure about this one.
You should see this testogen review by ncaids default font with a number next to the font name
That was also not the solution, but in the fonts-tab there is also a field for the DPI-Value of the monitor. It was set to 96dpi (wrong) and is now 157dpi.
Now I could read the characters without magnifying glass and the window decorations also have the right size. Thank you!!

/gT/
and a second time: thank you!

Yes I also faced the same problem. And it's so irritating for me.
RufusOwens

Post by RufusOwens »

NevilleGoddard wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:54 am I'm glad this helped me get rid of gyno problem and you fixed your screen.

Yeah, it's very irritating thing!