Virtual terminal files missing

Questions and support problems dealing directly with the FreeBSD Operating System.
Boisterous_Banter

Virtual terminal files missing

Post by Boisterous_Banter »

Greetings, everyone. After a brisk and easy experience installing GhostBSD (MATE torrent) via a USB 3.0 flash drive to a Lenovo Legion laptop, I have encountered quite the roadblock: upon opting for a multi-user boot, the system hastily begins to output the following to the terminal—

Code: Select all

..."can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port /dev/ttyv[1–7]: No such file or directory"
—repeating the line in a seemingly endless loop, cycling from /dev/ttyv1 to /dev/ttyv7 without termination.

However, entering a single-user boot, running fsck -p before executing mount -a to handle each and every partition present (per https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/cant ... ror.35402/), and then searching for the two files specified within /etc/ttys (https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handb ... erm-config) reveals that those complaints are warranted, as both, even /usr/local/bin/xdm, appear to be completely missing.

I thus ask whether this is an issue simply created by a flawed installation or whether it is one born of some deeper issue hidden in my machine. Additionally, I admit freely that I've very little experience with Unix-like operating systems, as such is comprised only of highly limited use of Linux, so I sincerely apologize if there exists a solution to this issue right underneath my nose.
Thank you.
neville
Developer

Re: Virtual terminal files missing

Post by neville »

Welcome to GhostBSD! Sorry about the problem you are having. What version are you trying to install? The version number is the number of the ISO file. Perhaps you could download one of the latest ISOs. It could be a corrupted file
neville
Developer

Post by neville »

Probably the version you downloaded was version was 22.6.18.
One of the latest builds will probably work better
Boisterous_Banter

neville wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:50 am Probably the version you downloaded was version was 22.6.18.
That it was; I'll try your advice and see if a later build functions without this issue.
Boisterous_Banter

Boisterous_Banter wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:59 pm
neville wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:50 am Probably the version you downloaded was version was 22.6.18.
That it was; I'll try your advice and see if a later build functions without this issue.
Well, the installation of 23.04.23 (MATE .iso, retrieved via torrenting, as before) seems to have replaced one problem with another: upon selecting either multi- or single-user boot, the system gets stuck displaying the GhostBSD logo. Beyond, obviously, being of different versions, the only way this particular installation differed from the last was that the former involved my successfully isolating /etc/ to its own partition, so that may have something to do with this new difficulty.
(Apologies for posting so long after my last reply an update regarding my situation—an avalanche of problems unrelated to anything technical had to be resolved.)