dual or many boot GhostBSD with Linux

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
dirkme

dual or many boot GhostBSD with Linux

Post by dirkme »

Hi dear GhostBSD Friends,

I really want to try GhostBSD on my optimus gaming laptop, but can't find anything to get GhostBSD installed next to my existing Linux installs and show up at the Grub boot loader.

Anyone know how to get GhostBSD 11 on my laptop?

Bytheway, Virtualbox, the addons don't seem to work I changed the /etc/config (forgot which one it was) and added the enable Virtualbox addons but doesn't make any difference, screen resolution stand son micro small.
ASX

Re: dual or many boot GhostBSD with Linux

Post by ASX »

dirkme wrote:Hi dear GhostBSD Friends,

I really want to try GhostBSD on my optimus gaming laptop, but can't find anything to get GhostBSD installed next to my existing Linux installs and show up at the Grub boot loader.

Anyone know how to get GhostBSD 11 on my laptop?
hi and welcome,

GhostBSD can certainly be installed side by side with Linux, I had it dual boot for some time, although there can be some restrictions, i.e. when using MBR partitioning GhostBSD is required to be installed on a "primary" partition.
Optimus instead is not supported from GhostBSD/FreeBSD, so you might be out of luck.
Some can get their laptop working by enabling/disabling one of the GPU from BIOS/UEFI, but the option is not widely available on all laptops.
Bytheway, Virtualbox, the addons don't seem to work I changed the /etc/config (forgot which one it was) and added the enable Virtualbox addons but doesn't make any difference, screen resolution stand son micro small.
FreeBSD and thus GhostBSD has no support upstream from Oracle VirtualBox, it is not an officially supported platform.
dirkme

Post by dirkme »

Thank you for your reply.

I have GPT Partition and a BIOS boot partition.

I am searching for clues how to get GhsotBSD recognized by grub, the best I ever got was unknown Linux version, but wasn't added to the grub menu.
ASX

Post by ASX »

grub-mkconfig prints its output on stdout, usually the terminal, unless redirected.

Instead:

Code: Select all

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
will overwrite the previous config with the new one.

there are several ways to boot ghostbsd from grub, please see this post: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=781&p=4671#p4661
dirkme

Post by dirkme »

I have a little youtube channel and work on some GhostBSD videos, ones i have everything back to dual boot, i will post these answers and their success ;-)

Thank you all for helping

Dirk