Screen resolution preventing install

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
Coastie

Screen resolution preventing install

Post by Coastie »

I am trying to test GhostBSD4.0-RELEASE-i386.iso on my test computer. I have tried three different monitors: a year Dell, an old Dell, and a very old KFC monitor. The live DVD cannot detect any of them. It sets the screen resolution at 640 X 480. I hoped that after installing GhostBSD, an update would fix the problem. I can't install because the installer window is so big that I cannot see the forward button at the bottom of the window to install. Keying enter did not work. It won't let me resize the window.

GhostBSD10.1-BETA1-i386 had the same problem. I haven't tried amd64(x86-64, x64) ISO because my test computer is 32 bit. Also I have not tried the IMG versions because either my computers (or me) do not know how to boot from a USB. I have tried unsuccessfully to boot Linux Distro from a USB before.

Help will be appreciate from this brand new BSD newby. :?

PS: Test driving GhostBSD 4.0 64 bit now on live DVD on my main computer. Screen resolution is not a problem on it. Just seem a problem on 32 bit :roll: Not ready to install on my main computer. Can it be fixed on 32 bit?
Linux user interested in BSD
bsdkeith

Re: Screen resolution preventing install

Post by bsdkeith »

Sounds like it may be your graphics card causing the problem.
Can you post the details of it here.
Linux user since 1999; & now a BSD user.
Coastie

Post by Coastie »

Thanks for the reply.

Test computer: Graphics: Card: Intel 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Integrated Graphics Device bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1600x1200@65.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 845G x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.3 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes

Main computer: Graphics: Card: Intel 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945G x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
bsdkeith

Post by bsdkeith »

All I have found so far is
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/x-or ... ost-190159
which might be worth keeping an eye on.
Linux user since 1999; & now a BSD user.
Coastie

Post by Coastie »

Thanks. That is way over my comprehension. :oops: Maybe the next 32 bit version of GhostBSD will fix the problem since it is not a problem on the 64 bit version. Maybe a 4.1 32 bit before the final release of 10.1?

I can just play with GhostBSD on the 64 bit live DVD. I did want to test the software center and the updating but they are not on the live DVD.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

We have made some huge improvement for intel, in the last month and we should release a new beta this week.
Coastie

Post by Coastie »

ericbsd wrote:We have made some huge improvement for intel, in the last month and we should release a new beta this week.
Thanks. :D
Coastie

Post by Coastie »

Downloaded GhostBSD10.1-BETA2-i386.iso from http://en.osdn.jp/projects/sfnet_ghostb ... /releases/. Still can't get correct resolution on test computer; therefore can't install to test on it. On main computer, it will give e 1280 X 1024 which is OK but not as good as 1920 X 1080 which is the one my Linux Distro pick. Sluggish on both computers and can't get Firefox to start on either. Some other app crash on first few tries.

Not ready to install on my main computer. I like the low system requirements, update system, software center, and install option for XFCE DE of GhostBSD, :) so will wait for another 32 bit to install on my test computer.