How to install refind from GhostBSD installer

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
janios

How to install refind from GhostBSD installer

Post by janios »

Hi, I have installed GhostBSD alongside two Debian systems on a Thiinkpad T430s and each time it seems to install GhostBSD bootloader at least i think it does, not sure but the Refind bootloader is grayed out in the installer as I would like to use that boot loader but not able to select it so when and when i boot the device it just goes straight to GhostBSD with no bootloader and without seeing the two Debian os's on the drive. What else can i do and can anyone lead me in the right direction in getting Refind or other bootloader to see my other two Deb systems?
chadbsd

Re: How to install refind from GhostBSD installer

Post by chadbsd »

If you want refind to manage the operating systems, then install GhostBSD firstly. If you do not see refind as an option, then check your BIOS setting to confirm whether legacy is disabled.
janios

Post by janios »

I will check that option in the bios then report back tomorrow, thanks
janios

Post by janios »

chadbsd wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:47 pm If you want refind to manage the operating systems, then install GhostBSD firstly. If you do not see refind as an option, then check your BIOS setting to confirm whether legacy is disabled.
Thanks for that, disabled legacy in BIOS Refind was no longer greyed out in the installer option however Refind only displays GhostBSD as an option to boot into but does not see the other Debian systems on the drive and maybe that's because i did not install GhostBSD first. I'll have to try that another time as i don't want to lose the Debian partitions right now. Perhaps there is a way to add GhostBSD to Grub from the other systems, will look into that next. Even though it's not as seemless for now i'm happy to at least be able to get into GhostBSD from the default boot sequence Refind boot manager that shows up on boot and with the other debian systems i have to press F12 to select the ATA drive that brings up the Debian Grub boot loader to enter those. All good, appreciate the info.
janios

Post by janios »

chadbsd wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:47 pm If you want refind to manage the operating systems, then install GhostBSD firstly. If you do not see refind as an option, then check your BIOS setting to confirm whether legacy is disabled.
Thanks for that, disabled legacy in BIOS Refind was no longer greyed out in the installer option however Refind only displays GhostBSD as an option to boot into but does not see the other Debian systems on the drive and maybe that's because i did not install GhostBSD first. I'll have to try that another time as i don't want to lose the Debian partitions right now. Perhaps there is a way to add GhostBSD to Grub from the other systems, will look into that next. Even though it's not as seemless for now i'm happy to at least be able to get into GhostBSD from the default boot sequence Refind boot manager that shows up on boot and with the other debian systems i have to press F12 to select the ATA drive that brings up the Debian Grub boot loader to enter those. All good, appreciate the info.