Tried installing in VM different ways, all failed

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
junijuli

Tried installing in VM different ways, all failed

Post by junijuli »

Hello,

here's a quick non-installation report that maybe someone finds helpful.

Machine: Macbook 17" early 2011
CPU: 2,2 GHz Intel Core i7
RAM: 16 GB
Operating systems known to run on this machine inside Parallels VM: Ubuntu, Windows 11
Operating systems known to run on this machine inside VirtualBox VM: NetBSD, FreeBSD
ISO file: GhostBSD-22.06.18

First attempts to boot GhostBSD in Parallels Desktop 17 all failed because a lua script was not found.
After a lot of googling I found a forum post that said to include the boot flag "vm.bios.efi=1" which at least lead to the boot menu (technically this means using configuration settings inside Parallels that are difficult to find and by no means self-explanatory). That way at least the boot prompt appears and some loading happens. After that everything fails because GhostBSD crashes the Parallels virtual machine while booting (the VM blows up and the window shows that it is spinning down). I have played with all sorts of parameters but this one remains. If someone wants to have an error report for this I'd be glad to share.

Next attempt was in VirtualBox 6.1.36 r152435 (Qt5.6.3).
GhostBSD boots, everything looks fine, even the VirtualBox additions work. This looked really promising. The installer starts, begins its work, then stalls forever (at least 30 minutes of idle time, I cancelled it then) with the following last message in the installer window:

/mnt/usr/sbin/quotaoff copy-ok

The file seems to get written (I can see that in the VirtualBox HD icon) and then the installer just sits there. Tried this with different VM settings, all lead to this stall.

I'm a software dev myself so if you need any more logs I'm happy to provide. I'm really really motivated to have a nice and shiny BSD. Purely from a usability perspective I'm sorry but what happens here is very unconvincing. Installing Ubuntu is a breeze compared to what's happening here and I'm running Windows 11 on this machine next to High Sierra without any problems.
ericbsd
Developer

Re: Tried installing in VM different ways, all failed

Post by ericbsd »

Oh, much ram did you give to the VirtualBox VM?
mfjurbala

Re: Tried installing in VM different ways, all failed

Post by mfjurbala »

What if you try one of the latest builds? I think there were some other issues with the 22.06.18 iso.