Install of 32 bit GhostBSD on VirtualBox

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
Jim Comfort

Install of 32 bit GhostBSD on VirtualBox

Post by Jim Comfort »

So, I'm currently working on some BSD installs on VirtualBox 5.2.44, the last of the 32 bit VBox versions. I got FreeBSD 13 up and running, albeit not yet full screen, and frankly, the step-by-step processes were intimidating, even in a hobby sense.

So, I decided to give a 32 bit GhostBSD a try in order to get some practice with pkg/port usage. The version I found was 10.3, as I didn't trust the prereleases listed on SourceForge. It installed swimmingly, but when I ran pkg update fetch, it complained that the folders couldn't be found. Then I tried portsnap update extract and it populated the ports, but wouldn't compile anything. So, I removed that install in VirtualBox and tried the prerelease. It also installed ok, but it installed the installer on itself, so it kept booting to the installation kernel.

Is there a 32 bit version that can still get package updates? One of the last things I tried was a freebsd-update -r 11.0, but it's stuck on loading because of a missing libssl.so.7. While that was going, I found a suggestion to create a GhostBSD.conf file in /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos. But I didn't get to that before the kernel upgrade broke.

If I reinstall and try the conf file, will it be worth the effort, or am I swimming upstream? I'm on a Windows 7 32 bit host with 3.25 gigs of usable ram, by the way. 10.3 was running great with 1.4 gigs assigned in VirtualBox, and vram bumped to 256MB.

Thanks in advance,
Jim
Jim Comfort

Re: Install of 32 bit GhostBSD on VirtualBox

Post by Jim Comfort »

Update: I decided to do a reinstall and tried adding the /pkg/repos/GhostBSD.conf file, but the /test link failed as well as the freeBSD links.

So, I tried one more search with the failure string "FreeBSD:10:i386/quarterly/packagesite.txz", and one of the links was to a debian repository, so I changed the address in the GhostBSD.conf file, and I'm watching a pkg update in terminal as I type.

I'll keep you updated on trying out ports after the pkg updates.

Jim
RodMyers

Re: Install of 32 bit GhostBSD on VirtualBox

Post by RodMyers »

32 bit FreeBSD is not a thing. FreeBSD dropped 32bit from their active development.

As such, there will be no 32bit GhostBSD