File system - UFS or ZFS?

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
mechanic

File system - UFS or ZFS?

Post by mechanic »

This choice comes up part way through the installation process. The UFS option does not provide an editable selection of setup options, I was unable to set a guided UFS option and the editable pathway confused me a lot as the only working options were to delete partitions and make new ones with appropriate mount points. This didn't end up with anything like what I wanted so I restarted the installation and chose a guided ZFS option. This worked well and the install went quickly. But a ZFS setup for a single user and one disk for all boot and file system requirements seems a bit of a sledge-hammer/nut approach.

Is it not possible to setup a guided UFS system with sensible defaults for this simple case?

Another setup which works well here is to use a Linux host and install virtualbox; BSD works well as a virtual machine and the host takes care of all the issues such as wifi which make bare metal installs of FreeBSD so messy. Easy to install without ZFS too!
ericbsd
Developer

Re: File system - UFS or ZFS?

Post by ericbsd »

I removed the guided UFS because I do not see the point in installing UFS on GhostBSD when the ZFS default setup on GhostBSD runs well with 2 to 4 Gig of ram.

Also, UFS is not capable of doing boot environment snapshots. Update Station takes advantage of that ZFS feature to create boot environment backup, and a future tool will be created to manage backup with ZFS.
mechanic

Re: File system - UFS or ZFS?

Post by mechanic »

Yes, snapshots are a great feature!