How to install on USB thumbdrive?

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
fyrstormer

How to install on USB thumbdrive?

Post by fyrstormer »

I have a laptop that I boot-up using a series of low-profile USB thumbdrives, each with a different OS installed on it. I have several different Linux distros and Windows To Go installed and bootable, and I've been trying to get a BSD variant installed too. FreeBSD works, but it doesn't recognize my Intel AX200 WiFi-6 network adapter; NomadBSD works, but it's terribly fragile (broken by its own updates!) and also very difficult to customize. GhostBSD seems like it has the best combination of durability and user-friendliness, but when I install it on a USB thumbdrive it gets stuck partway through bootup. I'm guessing it's resetting the USB bus during bootup like older versions of Windows used to do, and it loses its connection to its own boot drive in the process. However, that is pure speculation on my part and should not be considered as useful diagnostic info.

Is there a known procedure for modifying a GhostBSD install so it can be booted from a USB thumbdrive? My OS collection is nearly complete and I really want to have a BSD in the mix.
fyrstormer

Re: How to install on USB thumbdrive?

Post by fyrstormer »

Nothing?
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I have no idea how many times I have answered this question, and there is even a ticket about it on GitHub.

It is not possible to install GhostBSD on a USB drive because the installer does not support it at the moment.
Stax736

Post by Stax736 »

ericbsd wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:26 pm I have no idea how many times I have answered this question, and there is even a ticket about it on GitHub.

It is not possible to install GhostBSD on a USB drive because the installer does not support it at the moment.
I was about to create a topic about this. So the best way would be to install GhostBSD through a DVD-R?
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Stax736 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:52 pm
ericbsd wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:26 pm I have no idea how many times I have answered this question, and there is even a ticket about it on GitHub.

I was about to create a topic about this. So the best way would be to install GhostBSD through a DVD-R?
You can install from a USB drive but now to a USB drive.