Installer Nukes my extended partitions

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
MonkeyP99

Installer Nukes my extended partitions

Post by MonkeyP99 »

I have 4 partitions on a SSD. The final of those 4 is an extended partition which is also divided into 3 logical partition containing various Linux distros. I want to put BSD on another logical partition using the free space within the extended. However, the installer instead nukes the entire extended partition, creates in its place one primary partition. I did go to the installer partition customization section and created/formatted a partition for root. However, the installer seem to ignore my suggestions. If I do select an existing partition, the installer wizard won't allow me to continue. Any work around so that my extended partition doesn't get wiped? Thanks all.
ericbsd
Developer

Re: Installer Nukes my extended partitions

Post by ericbsd »

Are you using MBR or GPT?
MonkeyP99

Post by MonkeyP99 »

ericbsd wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:30 pm Are you using MBR or GPT?
MBR.. The partition I want BSD on is a logical within the extended partition. I already have several Linux partitions there already.
MonkeyP99

Post by MonkeyP99 »

ericbsd wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:30 pm Are you using MBR or GPT?
MBR

Here is what the partitions look like before GhostBSD's installer nukes the extended partition...
Screenshot from 2021-10-12 21-28-21.png
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

GhostBSD only supports primary partitions with MBR, and only 4 partitions per disk.

So there is no way that you can install GhostBSD with that setup without doing damage.