After Successful Intall On USB Reboot Hangs at Splash

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
MpII

After Successful Intall On USB Reboot Hangs at Splash

Post by MpII »

I performed a search of the forums and found this post that suggests switching to another USB port:

https://forums.ghostbsd.org/viewtopic.p ... lash#p8379

Unfortunately, I find that the problem persists in each of the three ports on my laptop. I even tried more than one iso.

I suspect that I can reinstall and select some other option, but thought I should solicit some advice on what that might be.

I chose to do a whole disk install, selected the USB and 8000 MB of swap for a 128GB USB drive with 116GB of available space. I also chose to indicate my full name as my three initials the hostname as MPII.

I don't recall making any other selections but can repeat the process if that would be helpful.
MpII

Re: After Successful Intall On USB Reboot Hangs at Splash

Post by MpII »

After further investigation, I've come to think that it might be that I'm installing onto a USB instead of simply creating live media on USB. I've been able to perform a regular install using FreeBSD. This is desirable from the standpoint that it's persistent and allows me to explore options with bhyve that interest me. I was hoping to similarly play with GhostBSD before making a full commitment. I will try to make the bootable USB using dd instead and see what that affords me. I don't expect that to allow the persistence I would like. And I wonder if there is some reason that the install option has been made unavailable or was the consequence of other decision not explicitly related to that option.
ericbsd
Developer

Re: After Successful Intall On USB Reboot Hangs at Splash

Post by ericbsd »

Has of now GhostBSD installer does not support installation to a USB.