Install hangs with 'cleaning up'

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
ted_uk

Install hangs with 'cleaning up'

Post by ted_uk »

I can boot the live system, but when I try to install to the hard disk it appears to format the hard drive. but then seems to hang with the message 'cleaning up'.
ericbsd
Developer

Re: Install hangs with 'cleaning up'

Post by ericbsd »

Weird how many rams you have on that machine?
ted_uk

Post by ted_uk »

4gb
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Did you try to reinstall?
ted_uk

Post by ted_uk »

Yes, I just get back to the same point. The disk appears to be formatted, but then it hangs.
ted_uk

Post by ted_uk »

When I say hangs, I mean that the Installer hangs. The live system is still fully operational.
kwsensen

Post by kwsensen »

on the step of partition, try to select the root partition you choosed to install ghostbsd, i guess you might choose the swap partition, then click the install. That will cause the problem, and the log file will show more information.
ted_uk

Post by ted_uk »

Dear All,
I am sorry that I have left it so long, but I have had problems. I am trying to install Ghost again.
The live disk boots fine, the apps work, and I can connect to the web, but it won't install to the hard disk.
The install formats the hard drive, but then hangs. There is this message:-

EXITERROR:Error 1: zpool import -f -N tank

Can anyone help?

Best wishes,
Ted
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

The old pool was not removed from the disk before deleting the partition, so it fails.

If you do a full disk installation, change the name of the pool. If you did a custom partition, you would need to recreate a zfs partition, set the pool and remove the label and delete the partition.
ted_uk

Post by ted_uk »

Dear ericbsd,
I have used Linux for 23 years, and although they are similar, FreeBSD is different, and I didn't understand all the terms you used.
So, using guesswork, I restarted the installer. I chose to do a custom partitioning. I deleted the large ZFS partion, and created a new one. The installer completed successfully, and after restarting and connecting the wifi, the computer upgraded.
Many thanks for your input. I am already familiar with Mate. Can you recommend a book for beginners that introduces FreeBSD?