Boot hangs immediately after selecting partition

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
felixyz

Boot hangs immediately after selecting partition

Post by felixyz »

Hi!

I downloaded the latest "Official Release" and put it on a USB stick. Booted without problem. Decided to try it on a refurbished Thinkpad T460, and dual boot with Windows 10. Shrank the windows partition, leaving ~115gb for GhostBSD.

During install I selected auto partitioning with ZFS. I first tried the FreeBSD boot loader option. When that failed (see below) I tried the "UEFI Only" option, then back to boot loader. (Would have really appreciated some more info during this step.)

After restart, selected FreeBSD (F4, as it happens). The cursor moved down one line and... nothing. Just the cursor blinking. I waited at least 10 minutes but there is no sign that booting is even commencing.

Upgraded the BIOS to latest. Smart Boot is disabled. The disk uses MBR - can this be the problem? I saw one guide stating that dual boot with MBR is hard/impossible. Is it the combination ZFS + MBR?

I can still boot into windows without problems.

Any advice on how to trouble shoot this? I'm pretty hopeful GhostBSD will work well on this machine once I get past this hurdle.

UPDATE: re-wrote the mbr with the verbose flag (

Code: Select all

boot0cfg -B -v ada0
), restarted, selected the FreeBSD partition (f4) and the single line

Code: Select all

Read error: 01
is printed. Below, blinking cursor.

Thanks
/Felix
Last edited by felixyz on Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
felixyz

Re: Boot hangs immediately after selecting partition

Post by felixyz »

Is there any other information I could provide to make it easier for others to help me? Is there anything I can do to gain a bit more insight into what goes wrong? All I have now is "Read error: 01". *Any* suggestions would be most welcome!