Boot loader too large

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
Luminotecnia

Boot loader too large

Post by Luminotecnia »

Hello forum mates.
I have been using several linux distros for years and i am now testing GhostBDC. I tryed several years ago PCBSD 9 but it wasn't stable.
I bought a new 4TB Barracuda disk and installed it in one of my desktop PCs, the one i am using to write this running Lubuntu 16.04 from another disk.
I also run Debian 8 from another disk in the same PC.
I partitioned the 4TB disk with gparted in Debian in two parts, the first of 1.3TiB aprox, clean and the second of 2.4TiB aprox, in ext4.
I booted live GhostBSD 20.11.28 and installed it in the 1.3TiB free partition; when the installer asked Installation Type I selected "Custom Disk Configuration for UFS and ZFS". Next in the Partition Editor I selected the freepartition and ZFS as file system. Then the Partition Editor generated three partitions 1MB boot, 1295203MB ZFS and 2048MB swap.The previous generated 2.4TiB partition ext4 keeps as System Type linux-data.
I continued the installation till end selecting as Boot Option "FreeBSD BIOS loader only", the only allowed to be marked.
When trying to boot from HDD it doesnt and gives the message: "Boot loader too large" and stops booting process.
Searching for this error message, I found in FreeBSD forums that 1MB boot partition seems to be very large so it must be 512KB or less, perhaps 256KB. So I rebooted from GhostBSD USB Live and with installer's Partition Editor tryed to reduce the size of the boot partition but I couldn't because Partition Editor works with integers of MBs.
How can I solve this? Thanks in advance!
ericbsd
Developer

Re: Boot loader too large

Post by ericbsd »

Actually, when the installer creates the partition it set it to 512KB. 1M is because I set up the installer to use only MB.
Luminotecnia

Re: Boot loader too large

Post by Luminotecnia »

Hi Eric, thanks for your answer.
Where can I continue looking for a solution?