Problems with partitioning during install

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
jcpollman

Problems with partitioning during install

Post by jcpollman »

Using the latest official release (20.04.1) it boots fine, but when I go to install, no matter how I try to setup the disc, the Next button never activates. I get this as the error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/gbi/partition.py", line 617, in partition_selection
if 'BOOT' in self.prttn[0] and bios_type == 'BIOS':
IndexError: list index out of range

I am running an AMD Ryzen 2 CPU with 32 gigs of ram. I am trying to install on a 2TB NVME disc which has Linux and another OS on it. It is setup to use UEFI. I have 800 gigs of allocated space for it to use. It makes no difference which file system I use, nor whether assigned by Auto or Manual partition creation.

thoughts?
JC
ericbsd
Developer

Re: Problems with partitioning during install

Post by ericbsd »

Try this iso http://download.us.ghostbsd.org/develop ... 64/latest/ I have rewrote the partition editor backend it should be fix.
jcpollman

Post by jcpollman »

Same, but worse. Once again the Next button never became clickable no matter how I tried to partition the drive. But this time, 1) there was no indication of what was wrong. I started the install from a console, sudo gbi, and no information showed up. dmesg also showed nothing. So, I have no idea why it is failing. 2) the display was back to bad: only allowed 1024x768, and both of my monitors showed exactly the same thing - I have 2 monitors that can display 2560x1440, and Linux, Windows, and the other OS can see and handle them fine.

JC
jcpollman

Post by jcpollman »

I also tried putting new partitions in front of, and behind the freespace I give to Ghost - thinking that the partitions were not lined up correctly. Also, in the bios, I changed from UEFI to Legacy+UEFI. Same results.
JC
jcpollman

Post by jcpollman »

I tried installing 19.10 - and it worked as far as the partitioning and install goes. The display is still unacceptable as only the scfb will work, which gives me 1024x768 which does not work for a desktop. I allowed it to update itself - no changes. I then tried installing the 20.04.1 and it does not install directly over the 19.10, so I deleted the 19.10 partitions, but using Auto and manual gave me the same issue with no Next button.

JC
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

What is the scheme MBR or GPT?
What is your partition created?
How to reproduce your problem?
I test GhostBSD-20.08.04.iso and I have no problem with GPT partitions, without any image and information, there is not much I can do to help.
jcpollman

Post by jcpollman »

My hard drive uses GPT. As I stated: 19.10 installs with no problem, 20.04 does not. I have also tried 20.08.05 - same problem. When I try to install it, I have given it 400 gigs, so there is more than enough space. The drive is an nvme. Not sure what else I can try to do.

JC
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Why you avoid answering those 2 questions?
ericbsd wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:40 am What is your partition created?
How to reproduce your problem?
At least give me a screenshot of your problem on 20.08.04 I will be to see what is the problem.

I was able to install ghostbsd over and over without a problem.
jcpollman

Post by jcpollman »

two screen shots, one before I click on auto - showing the free space, and one after I click on auto. The Next button does not become active so I can click on it and proceed with the installation.
Screenshot freespace.png
Screenshot auto.png
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

The only way I am able to reproduce this with 20.08.04 is whith both Legacy BIOS and UEFI enable.

GhostBSD installer only supports one enable. I what is see "sysctl -n machdep.bootmethod" might not return UEFI.