problems with booting 19.04

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
tree

problems with booting 19.04

Post by tree »

I just installed version 19.04. The installation wizard seemed to perform without a hitch, but when booting up, some problems arise.

The first issue appears in the "Starting xconfig" module. The transcript shows this message three times:

[: =: unexpected operator]

This possibly indicates the use of a bash-ism (==) in a 'sh' script, where (=) is the accepted operator for testing equality. That's simply a guess, and I have no idea if that is impacting anything else in the boot process.

Then there are these messages:

kldunload: can't find nvidia-nodeset
kldunload: can't find nvidia file

I have no idea what this means aside from the obvious "uh oh, something's missing".

Finally, the boot transcript shows this:

Setting date via ntp.
Exiting, name server cannot be used. Non-recoverable failure in name resolution.
(4) <date stamp> ntpdate[<integer>]: name server cannot be used.

At this point the session dumps into what appears to be single-user mode, and I get a command line prompt to log in.

Any assistance in resolving these issues is appreciated. Thanks.
tree

Re: problems with booting 19.04

Post by tree »

I have a partial solution for the moment. I plugged in the USB drive with the .iso file and booted from that drive using the amd option. Then I re-installed the operating system. When the install wizard asked for a time zone, I used London instead of my local time zone. These actions appear to circumvent the kldunload nvidia messages and the ntp messages, but the xconfig error remains and causes further errors on logout. The MATE desktop now loads.

When booting the .iso from a flash drive, does the boot option that is selected affect how the operating system is installed to disk if one chooses to do so?

The selection of London mitigating the ntp error suggests a possible dependency on UTC time. Is there one? If so, where please?

I notice that there is no UTC/GMT choice for time zone in the installation wizard. Is that an oversight?
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Does your machine use an nvidia card?
What is your local time zone?
Thanks for the feedback.
tree

Post by tree »

Thanks Neville.

Video card info:
$ glxinfo -B
name of display: :0.0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
Vendor: Intel Open Source Technology Center (0x8086)
Device: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Haswell Mobile (0x416)
Version: 18.2.2

Time zone: UTC-7:00

In case it matters, I'm booting via BIOS vice UEFI. I don't think the BIOS has any preference for time zone. I do have other OS's on the disk that have UTC set as the time zone, but it seems unlikely that would be affecting BSD.

Once upon a time, my hardware worked with PC-BSD 10.2. I realize not all of that code may be in effect with GhostBSD.
mcsaba

Post by mcsaba »

tree wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:33 am I just installed version 19.04. The installation wizard seemed to perform without a hitch, but when booting up, some problems arise.

The first issue appears in the "Starting xconfig" module. The transcript shows this message three times:

[: =: unexpected operator]

I modify the script (512,514,516 lines) the problem is solved.

if [ "$TOSTART" == 'setup' ]; then
elif [ "$TOSTART" == 'auto' ]; then
elif [ "$TOSTART" == 'clean' ]; then
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I notice that yesterday I have fixed our code.
dismas

Post by dismas »

Hello,
I run into the same issue with both 19.09 versions (2019-08-10 and 2019-08-27) :
- BIOS + MBR : Install OK but GhostBSD doesn't boot. Black screen; Cursor blinking.
- UEFI + GPT : Install OK but GhostBSD boot stucks at "starting xconfig".
Regards.
:arrow: Sorry for my bad English : I'm French