GhostBSD 18.12 Wired Connection Fails SOLVED

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
plumtreed

GhostBSD 18.12 Wired Connection Fails SOLVED

Post by plumtreed »

Downloaded new release GhostBSD 18.12...........much happier with this because with only slight modification I could make the 'installer' USB boot on my laptop. I installed it and found everything was great except my wired connection didn't work.

It apears to be OK saying that it is connected and the icon looks active.....when tested, it doesn't link to web page..

ifconfig -a thinks it is active and as expected there is no hope for wireless!

Looking for ideas on getting wired....up and running
Last edited by plumtreed on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
plumtreed

Re: GhostBSD 18.12 Wired Connection Fails

Post by plumtreed »

.........whereis Network Manager?
liam

Post by liam »

if this is on a laptop, it might be "easy" to swap out the little wifi card with an intel one?

For the wired connection: does ifconfig show what IP address you get?

Then you need to ping the IP address of your router/gateway, and see if that works.

The last thing to check is DNS, see if it can resolve IP addresses:

Code: Select all

drill website.com
plumtreed

Post by plumtreed »

Hi Liam, thanks for your support..........pings OK at a decent speed. I can't find a problem to work on........ everything looks as if it set-up the way it should be.

Should say that wireless is really not an option at this moment but your suggestion sounds a good one........might try that once I get wired running......it is an old laptop and much modified, works better than people expect.

I don't know where to look.....I can't remember the last time wired was a problem. I have Trident/Trueos running on another drive on this machine and everything seems to be set the same way..........they are very similar.....and it works the way it should.

........any more suggestions
plumtreed

Post by plumtreed »

The suggestion to 'drill website.com' comes back negative saying 'no resolver found'
liam

Post by liam »

it means you need to setup your DNS;
search the web for info about
/etc/resolv.conf
plumtreed

Post by plumtreed »

Thanks Liam, I'll have a go at that........do you use 18.12 and does the wired connection work OTB for you? Same question to anybody else on 18.12......do you have Ethernet connections that work because if you do that suggest my download or install was faulty.

Thinking back, my installer USB failed to register a wired connection.
liam

Post by liam »

you might have an issue on your network with DHCP clients not getting any/correct values for the DNS settings.
A lot of OS's & apps use their own DNS settings these days, and ignore local settings...

Or you forgot about DNS when you were setting the network IP address & gateway manually?

I can't tell yet :-)

I have tried ghostBSD with a wired connection, and the DHCP (& DNS) works fine here.
Unlike FreeBSD12.0/hardenedBSD; they have a DHCP client issue in the installer image.
plumtreed

Post by plumtreed »

......GhostBSD 18.10 provided a 'wired' connection with no problems............18.12 doesn't?? I don't remember being presented with an opportunity to do anything about DNS during installation,,,,,,must have missed it

I have Trueos (Trident) installed to an SSD and wired works perfectly. I also have FreeBSD XFCE on a USB and again the 'wired' is just not an issue.

These systems run on the same laptop and the same connections and 'wired' Ethernet is only an issue on GhostBSD.......I think it's a kernel thing but will dig into this when I have more time on the weekend.
plumtreed

Post by plumtreed »

.....tried a wifi usb adaptor and it worked up to the point of asking for a password and then saying it was enabled......but no internet:(