GhostBSD 18.10 RC2 in VirtualBox

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
abm

GhostBSD 18.10 RC2 in VirtualBox

Post by abm »

Hello GhostBSD community,

I was recently testing out the RC2 in VirtualBox 5.20 and it went a lot less smoothly compared to GhostBSD 11.1 so I thought I'd post my experience to see if I could get help in figuring out what went wrong.

GhostBSD 11.1 installation in VirtualBox was pretty much flawless, it automatically supported mouse integration with VBox and screen resizing worked as expected, installation proceeded uneventfully and the system was booting up from disk in short time.

GhostBSD 18.10 RC2 in VirtualBox by contrast did not have automatic mouse integration and screen resizing didn't work, and the initial boot screen was off-centered. When desktop starts, I'm able to launch the installer, at first the installation proceeds without issues but upon reaching the end it froze and the system's rendered unusable. I also observe strange screen artifacts, random colored pixels covering the screen.

If I reboot, after taking the iso image out of the cdrom, the system boots from disk without issue so it seems installation did work correctly up till the end at least as far as I could tell.

Automatic mouse integration still is not working even though I see that virtualbox addons have been automatically installed.

I've installed TrueOS before in the VirtualBox and if I recall correctly it went smoothly so I was surprised to experience issues installing the RC2. I'm still a novice BSD user though so I'm still figuring things out.

I'd be happy to help with troubleshooting and improving the 18.10 experience in VirtualBox. Let me know if you need more details.
abm

Re: GhostBSD 18.10 RC2 in VirtualBox

Post by abm »

In case this is helpful, I also took a screenshot of the last few lines of output sent to tty0 during the installation process.
Attachments
VirtualBox_automaton-ghostbsd-trueos_25_10_2018_14_49_14.png
VirtualBox_automaton-ghostbsd-trueos_25_10_2018_14_49_14.png (10.86 KiB) Viewed 5369 times
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Not sure why you get all those problems because the only problem I have is the mouse integrations problem.

ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I did release RC3 today https://www.ghostbsd.org/download, I was not able to fix mouse integration, there is some slight improvement for github.
abm

Post by abm »

Thanks for your response Eric, I'll check out RC3 ASAP.

May I ask what version of VirtualBox you are running and what system options did you select for the RC2?

I'm running 5.2.20 and have I/O APIC, EFI, and Hardware clock enabled for RC2. I don't know if those options make any difference though I'd like to try to replicate your successful configuration.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Same version, but on GhostBSD.

Code: Select all

/u/h/ericbsd  pkg info | grep virtualbox                                                                                           Mon Oct 29 11:58:48 2018
virtualbox-ose-5.2.20          General-purpose full virtualizer for x86 hardware
virtualbox-ose-kmod-5.2.20_1   VirtualBox kernel module for FreeBSD
 /u/h/ericbsd   
My VM is setup for FreeBSD 64bit and I/O APIC and EFI are enabled.
abm

Post by abm »

I'm trying to install RC3 in VirtualBox but the installer application doesn't seem to be working. Double-clicking on the desktop icon isn't starting up the installer.

When I run `sudo gbi` in the terminal, I get an error. Please see attached.
Attachments
VirtualBox_automaton-ghostbsd-trueos_29_10_2018_15_52_32.png
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Thanks, man I will fix that right away and upload a new iso right away.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Thanks, abm I will fix that right away and upload a new iso right away.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I just did upload the new iso with the fix. it is still called RC3.