Nextcloud on GhostBSD

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
dhenzler

Re: Nextcloud on GhostBSD

Post by dhenzler »

I wanted a native ZFS so that the OS is also protected.

I've temporarily given up on GhostBSD. Firefox-58 is broken on it and won't go to many websites. I have better things to do with my time than ferret out bs problems. As I said in another post "Not Ready for Prime Time"

Linux Mint is unbreakable... in my opinion...you can load or remove programs and reload with ease and reliability without screwing up the operation of other stuff.

Later
D
Hecktor

Post by Hecktor »

Well I'm sure you can have the whole OS on ZFS as well with Mint:
https://blog.heckel.xyz/2016/12/31/move ... -zfs-root/

I know with debian and Arch there are ways to install to ZFS from the start.

I'd really recommend trying your solution on FreeBSD. Firefox 58 has zero issues on FreeBSD. The thing is with GhostBSD is it is basically a one man show. Some of the changes he does will break stuff. And now that it looks like they are starting to pull stuff from TrueOS a whole bunch of stuff is going to start breaking.

ZFS is really nice. I'm not sure if what you want is easy to get working. Since netflix runs off of FreeBSD I would find it difficult to believe what you want to accomplish can't be done on FreeBSD. I'm not really sure why you chose GhostBSD as usually GhostBSD would be for people that don't understand how to setup things. I mean to get a gui in FreeBSD is as simple as:
pkg install xorg
startx

Anyways, I wish you luck in figuring out your solution.
Harion

Post by Harion »

I mean to get a gui in FreeBSD is as simple as:
pkg install xorg
startx
That inspired me. I decided to verify if it is so simple.

At the first place, the good point is that the installation of FreeBSD is as straightforward as GhostBSD.

I installed xorg, then typed "startx". The thing I saw recalled me what I experienced more than twenty years ago when I installed one of the first versions of slackware. In short: no desktop manager usable.

Ok, that's not really a problem, I put Xfce because it's lightweight and I didn't want to spend much time for that. Finally, a great amount of time was needed to configure it (& add basic functions), I would have done better to install KDE or Gnome...

After that, I installed virtualbox-ose-addtions because it's on a VM. It took more than ten hours! While it just needed something like one or two hours with GhostBSD (because many dependencies were preinstalled, I guess). AND... I didn't mention my first try where I did a beginner's mistake: no update of the ports before installing virtualbox-ose-addtions. As a result, I faced three errors. I overcame the two first and died at the third --> Reinstallation of FreeBSD.

I installed apache24, mysql57 and php56 with no more trouble than I encoutered with GhostBSD.

At the very end, the point that noone has seen is that it exists a FreeBSD port of NextCloud. Once my server was ok with php and mysql, I just typed:

Code: Select all

cd /usr/ports/www/nextcloud
make install clean
And all the php modules, driver and others stuff that NextCloud needs were installed in a couple of minutes. I just did a manual configuration of httpd.conf because nextcloud was intalled outside /usr/local/www/apache24/data.

Code: Select all

Alias /nextcloud/ "/usr/local/www/nextcloud/"

<Directory "/usr/local/www/nextcloud/">
	Options None
	AllowOverride All
	Require all granted
</Directory>
To put an end at this story, I would say that you can have problems with FreeBSD as with any other OS. Nothing is unbreakable because there is or, at least, there will always something you can miss. GhostBSD like other distributions has the advantage to be more digest, more easily usable for beginners but also for people who don't have time (or simply don't want) to set up all.